Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Job or Education

Mar 13, 2008
I am currently at college studying 3 A-levels and hating every minute of it. I want/need a job and think that becuase I can only work pert time it is hindering my search. I have an interview for a full time job working in an O2 shop, but there are no guarantees I will get it. If I stay at college I doubt I will get decent grades as I am really unmotivated, and most of the time find it hard to put any effort at all into it.

So should I spend the next 1/2 years of my life at college trying, and most likely failing, to get decent grades or should I spend that time looking, and hopefully getting, a full time job?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
No offence to people that work at o2 shops but its not really a career is it. My view would be that unless you can get yourself a job now with prospects and a real hope of progressing up the ladder better off staying at college. That will prove to potential employers that you can stick at something and you will get a better job at the end with a couple of A-levels behind you. Put off full-time work as long as possible

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
İbrahim Tatlıses;3064940 said:
It's worth considering...

The top 10 jobs in demand in 2010, didn't exist in 2004.

&

The amount of NEW technical information is doubling every 2 years, which generally means half of what students learn in their first year of study will be OUTDATED by their third year of study.

That doesn't therefore mean that you don't need qualifications to do them though does it?

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
I take it you're 16/17 years old? Job or education? Could you not do both? In that I mean go out into the job market now, see how it pans out and if you want to return to education you can.

I left school at 16 tried BHASVIC for a short time, didn't enjoy it and so went out to work. After 5/6 years of non-skilled manual jobs I returned to college and, in turn, university.

Didn't feel ready to continue education at 16. Glad I did the McDonalds and Gala bingo route, but also happy to have revisited education at the later date.

It's all character-building!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The average lifetime expected earnings of someone leaving school at 18 is about £770k.

The average lifetime expected earnings of a graduate is £1.3million.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Get yer A levels done, then you can always take time out and go back to education. I went to uni and it was a waste of my time (and money).

buller89

Aug 9, 2007
Horsham
I was in the same position 4 years ago. I was really unmotivated in college and i wouldnt have got the grades to make it worthwhile. I got out in the job market, found my first job. After working up the ladder i am now working in Norway on very good money and a great standard of life at 21. A job is what you make out of it

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
EDUCATION !!!

You've got to work for the rest of your life and believe me College/Uni are the most fun you'll ever ever have.

Do it!!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think you would appreciate how good college was if you went into a dead end boring job. Out of interest, which college are you at?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I didnt finish College and went to work and although it was nice having more money than my mates who stayed at college Im now realising that leaving education was the worst decision Ive ever made!!

Mar 13, 2008
I think you would appreciate how good college was if you went into a dead end boring job. Out of interest, which college are you at?

Worthing College.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
A Job, anyday. A Job will allow you to buy/do things, from your HARD earned cash, Education wont. The one thing I hate about Brighton, to many f***ing students. Espically down Churchill Square.:mad:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Left school at first opportunity to earn some cash and to get out of school, three years later realised what I'd done and spent the next 8 years at night school etc, all worked out OK in the end but feel reasonably qualified to say ... best to stay at school but not the disaster people predict if you leave, you just make it harder for yourself later in life!

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Trust me. STAY in education. Get a part time job, that might open up a few doors for the future. The sound of earning money is rather good on the ears, but after time the reality kicks in, and the novelty wears off. Before you know it, you would have wasted years of your life in a dead end job at Tesco stacking shelves. It is then you will wonder "shit, where did I go wrong?"
Its at this point you will understand, that the opportunities to gain qualifications were there for the taking. Better grades generally means better jobs, and more money. Dont be influenced by your friends, do what YOU feel you have to do.
If I could turn the clock back I would have stayed in education, got the degrees, and gone off into the big wide world happy. Luckily for me things have turned out how I wanted (But thats becuase I had the grades I needed for the job I wanted)

As much as you might hate it, I would stay in education mate.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
A Job, anyday. A Job will allow you to buy/do things, from your HARD earned cash, Education wont. The one thing I hate about Brighton, to many f***ing students. Espically down Churchill Square.:mad:

You can do both you know!

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Worthing College.

Unskilled workers (Retail ect.) probably earn in the region of £12-16k on average?

Brilliant if your living at home with mummy and daddy, and no bills to pay. You can forget it if you want a place of your own though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here