Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JLS mentioned earlier on about Pompey and Admin

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This is not a Pompey thread!!

He suggested that we were in administration before Archer took over.

Is that correct?

I know I am getting senile, BUT I cannot remember actually being in administration

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
we weren't (although wikipedia did say we were). Some of the directors (bernard clarke - remember him) wanted to but there were others (Archer and Stanley) who didn't want to. Instead that nice businessman Mr Archer bought us and paid back the other directors

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nope. Never been in admin.
As mentioned elsewhere, we had a winding up order served on us by HMR&C for something like £400k, but we sold Beeney to Leeds and settled it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
we weren't (although wikipedia did say we were). Some of the directors (bernard clarke - remember him) wanted to but there were others (Archer and Stanley) who didn't want to. Instead that nice businessman Mr Archer bought us and paid back the other directors

You see............. Archer saved us............ I`m going down the pub now.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex

I think it actually got as far as then MD Barry Lloyd making the necessary arrangements to go into administration even though he knew it would probably result in his departure. Baz told us later that it was happening until Archer and Stanley stopped it right at the 11th(and possibly 59mins) hour and carried out their very own 'rescue plan'.

Interesting Friday question;

Had we gone into administration would we now be moving from Goldstone to Falmer?

Or might we be there already?

(damn I should have started another thread)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Nope. Never been in admin.
As mentioned elsewhere, we had a winding up order served on us by HMR&C for something like £400k, but we sold Beeney to Leeds and settled it.

The tax man wanted just short of £600k and we owed c£1m to them overall so the deal had to be seen as a million pound deal. John Campbell knew Leslie Silver at Leeds and between them they constructed a deal that could (theoretically) have been a £1m deal based on appearances, international caps etc but was never likely to happen. The irony was that the international cap fees would be paid if Beeney ever played for England. he was actually qualified for Rep of Ireland and he nearly blew it in an interview minutes after the transfer where he said this that a local journalist agreed to overlook rather than cause the club issues.

I think it actually got as far as then MD Barry Lloyd making the necessary arrangements to go into administration even though he knew it would probably result in his departure. Baz told us later that it was happening until Archer and Stanley stopped it right at the 11th(and possibly 59mins) hour and carried out their very own 'rescue plan'.

Interesting Friday question;

Had we gone into administration would we now be moving from Goldstone to Falmer?

Or might we be there already?

(damn I should have started another thread)

yep this was one of the Lloyd/Archer fallout points.

If we'd have gone into Admin, probably one of the last things to have been sold would have been the Goldstone (or at least not without a robust long term lease). The local council may have been allowed to get involved at the right time which they weren't when Archer became Chairman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here