Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jim McNulty

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Doubtless there is another thread on this, but hey-ho...

I just think it's an absolute delight to have Jim McNulty back playing for us last night. What a past few months he's had, and what a remarkable recovery just to make it back to fitness, let alone back into first-team football. It's a heart-warming story, and at the same time a cautionary tale to any who feel like throwing in the towel at the first sign of adversity - in this case internal organ explosion.

I did wonder about people's on-pitch appreciation of him after just five games for us, but for me all that conjecture was blown out of the water last night. I thought he looked composed, keen, classy and comfortable. Granted he went into one or two tackles a bit gingerly - that's understandable - but he made controlling the ball and playing a meaningful pass look effortless. He never panicked - he knew when to clear it and when to make a simple pass.

I don't recall him once giving the ball away and he was a rock who appeared to inspire others around him to play a bit more intelligently.

It's just brilliant having him back.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It wouldn't really have mattered if he'd had a shit game IMO, which of course he didn't. He showed us what we were missing last night.

But this is really a personal triumph for the bloke, and it is brilliant having him back.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
Jim was great.

I sat there thinking to myself...it's fantastic to have two "proper" fullbacks - both composed, both footballers (rather than stoppers) :ascarf:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
At times he looked a total class act last night and the more he gets his match fitness back the more this will happen on a consistent basis.

Lovely touch the applause from him at the end

Fans favourite already

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Amazed he last the full 90 bet he is feeling it today. Was quality in the first half always looking to get forward. Tired in the second half which is more than understandable, when he if 100% will be a lot better team

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Did he ever say thank-you for his card BTW? (Not having a pop at him, just wondered.)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He has mentioned a few times in interviews that the fans' support has really kept him going, referred to cards sent etc. Another thank you was him staying after all the other players last night to clap the fans, think that was a bit of a thank you.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
if that is supposedly RS's best side, then personally I would have Tunnicliffe in front of Virgo.

I thought both fullbacks had decent games although in the first half, the two attacks Gillingham could have scored from both came down McNulty's wing.

All in all a good performance, we lost our way I thought for the last 20 minutes of the first half and looked vunerable again on the break, but finished the game off nicely in last part of the Second half....

6/10 last night I though

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
two full backs entirely comfortable going forward with ball at feet ... cant remember that for a while. Welcome back Jimmy Mac

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
1st time I've seen him play and can now see why he was being raved about before the injury. He put in a couple of last ditch brave tackles in the 2nd half to to stop the ball being crossed. Looked really comfortable on the ball.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Doubtless there is another thread on this, but hey-ho...

I just think it's an absolute delight to have Jim McNulty back playing for us last night. What a past few months he's had, and what a remarkable recovery just to make it back to fitness, let alone back into first-team football. It's a heart-warming story, and at the same time a cautionary tale to any who feel like throwing in the towel at the first sign of adversity - in this case internal organ explosion.

I did wonder about people's on-pitch appreciation of him after just five games for us, but for me all that conjecture was blown out of the water last night. I thought he looked composed, keen, classy and comfortable. Granted he went into one or two tackles a bit gingerly - that's understandable - but he made controlling the ball and playing a meaningful pass look effortless. He never panicked - he knew when to clear it and when to make a simple pass.

I don't recall him once giving the ball away and he was a rock who appeared to inspire others around him to play a bit more intelligently.

It's just brilliant having him back.

good post and yes its good to have him back

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
He was top quality last night. It is no coincidence that the two wide midfielders had their best games for the club either. With full backs who could actually pass they were getting the ball in much better positions and were able to do something with it subsequently.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
if that is supposedly RS's best side, then personally I would have Tunnicliffe in front of Virgo.

I thought both fullbacks had decent games although in the first half, the two attacks Gillingham could have scored from both came down McNulty's wing.

All in all a good performance, we lost our way I thought for the last 20 minutes of the first half and looked vunerable again on the break, but finished the game off nicely in last part of the Second half....

6/10 last night I though

Spoken like a true Yorkshireman.

We're praising McNulty's (fairly miraculous) return, and you're giving him grief about a couple of Gillingham's attacks.

Blimey.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Spoke to his dad after the game and he said Jimmy and the whole family had been touched by the reaction of the fans since his return.

A generally lovely family.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Spoke to his dad after the game and he said Jimmy and the whole family had been touched by the reaction of the fans since his return.

A generally lovely family.

Generally? who is dodgy is that family then?

Was indeed great to see McNults back last night, the only let down was that he did not have gloves on.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Spoken like a true Yorkshireman.

We're praising McNulty's (fairly miraculous) return, and you're giving him grief about a couple of Gillingham's attacks.

Blimey.

Well said, Al.
When JM first arrived, my reaction was (after the first game),'He is CLASS'.

It doesn't happen very often at our club.

He will be a legend. Great to have him back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here