Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jim Magilton - could he do a job ?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Magilton bids emotional farewell

Magilton is leaving Portman Road at the end of the season
Ipswich captain Jim Magilton was emotional after Town's 2-0 win over Derby - his last game at Portman Road, as he is to depart this summer.
"I can't thank the fans and the lads enough for the reception they gave me," he told the club website.

"I was choked to be honest, walking around the pitch at the end and knowing I won't be back here next season.

"But I've had seven magnificent years at the club, and I'm lucky enough to have played with some great players."

He's exactly what we need... someone to put their foot on the ball and make a pass. Sign him up!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Absolutely. Colin Cameron is also available on a free, another player who could play a similar role.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We need someone who can just sit in front of the back four and set the play up with a simple pass or killer ball. Remember what McAllister was like for Cov? Didn't move but controlled the game through his clever and insightful passing. Magilton might be able to do the same in Div 3, sorry League 1, plus his experience would be invaluable.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Les Biehn said:
If we don't retain Nicolas then I would say yes.
I'd like him even if we do keep Nicolas. He has more quality then any of our midfield.

Personally I'd release Chippy, to call him a shadow of his former self is an understatement.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Silent Bob said:
I'd like him even if we do keep Nicolas. He has more quality then any of our midfield.

Personally I'd release Chippy, to call him a shadow of his former self is an understatement.
Bizarrely McGhee said on Saturday that he thought Carpenter's had a great season!!?!!
I've been a big fan of Chippie over the years but this season's been his poorest for the Albion.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Chippy and Oatway will both get contracts which I think is wrong. I believe we need some elder statesman at the back to guide our youngsters through, especially as Butters and Dodd have played at the highest level, but considering their age I think it is time to move C & O on.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Think both mentioned are probably past it now. I think we should be looking at the youngsters and keep Butters and Dodd for the experience to aid the youngsters. We also have Hart and Hammond and Mayo who have the experience to help the youngsters so should not be looking into bringing in old players who are probably after another pay cheque before retiring.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Im sure we could get him a job cleaning the toilets

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
B.M.F said:
Think both mentioned are probably past it now. I think we should be looking at the youngsters and keep Butters and Dodd for the experience to aid the youngsters. We also have Hart and Hammond and Mayo who have the experience to help the youngsters so should not be looking into bringing in old players who are probably after another pay cheque before retiring.

Great minds BMF. Was also thinking the same about Hart, Hammond and Mayo but couldn't be arsed to say it.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Hart, Hammond and Mayo provide no leadership or guidance at all. Plenty of commitment there, but not a lot of nous.

Complete folly to get rid of Carpenter unless a Magilton type player is brought in.

Dodd on pay as you play only maybe but a big risk there wouldn't you say.

Last edited:

Sid James said:
Hart, Hammond and Mayo provide no leadership or guidance at all. Plenty of commitment there, but not a lot of nous.

Complete folly to get rid of Carpenter unless a Magilton type player is brought in.

Dodd on pay as you play only maybe but a big risk there wouldn't you say.

Quite right - on one side of their mouth the whingers will complain about us relying on raw youth, on the other side they will complain about us keeping some of the few experienced heads we have.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Surely the club won't offer Dodd a new contract. Our fingers have burnt before with Kitson remember. Plus do we really need Dodd? We already have Hart, Reid, Al Ebd all of whom can play at right back. Personally I'd get rid of Nicholas and try and get someone in who can pass, if we can. Magilton would ge great.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Quite right - on one side of their mouth the whingers will complain about us relying on raw youth, on the other side they will complain about us keeping some of the few experienced heads we have.

I do think the side needs some experience in it, however of Oatway, Carpenter, Dodd and Butters, I could see only 2 of them being retained, partly due to the number of youngsters that have deals, an element of economics and that we have to budget for some of the wages of Molango, Jarratt and Kuipers being still paid by us next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here