Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeremy Paxman: "Keltic and Rangers"

Just watched last Tuesday's Newsnight on the Iplayer. The headlines concerning Kevin McDaid came up and I was astonished to hear Jeremy Paxman read out "...tensions between rival Celtic and Rangers football fans..." using a hard C for Celtic! He only corrected himself at the end of the programme, so could this highly knowledgable man simply not know? How could any middle-aged Briton have gone through life not having picked this up?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
It may be the latest bit of PC creep, ie replace bombay with mumbi or whatever, etc etc.

ie destroy the english langauge and replace it with foreign devil speak.

Lefties love it as its balm to their selfhatred and bitterness at being played at whoopass by maggie for a decade.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Freudian slip from reading an autocue? Surely a very easy mistake to make.

Maybe but a simple, sympathetic idea doesn't allow for about 30 pages of DRAMA, time outs and flounces like what I am trying to stir up here.

so I suggest you keep your sensible stuff in check.:rant:

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
It may be the latest bit of PC creep, ie replace bombay with mumbi or whatever, etc etc.

ie destroy the english langauge and replace it with foreign devil speak.

But wasn't the word always pronounced with a hard C until someone changed it to a soft C ?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
But wasn't the word always pronounced with a hard C until someone changed it to a soft C ?

Quite possibly but who really cares? The purpose of langauge is to comunicate information, so all it needs is to be mutually understood. Those who treat it as some kind of politicAL SCIENCE DESERVE ALL THE MOCKERY they get.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here