Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ivor Caplin Quits

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Taken from the Argus. Bit of a shock, guess people will say he did not want to lose his seat so jumped;

Labour MP's quit shock
by Brendan Montague

Ivor Caplin says he wants to resume a business career defence minister Ivor Caplin MP today revealed he will stand down at the next General Election.

The Hove and Portslade MP and minister for veterans has stunned colleagues in the Labour party by announcing he will retire from politics next year.

The father of three, who today celebrates his 46th birthday, will quit the £110,000 a year job to pursue his business interests.

Election rival Nicholas Boles and his Conservative supporters welcomed the news, claiming it would increase their chances of winning back the seat.

Hove holds a special significance for the Government since the Prime Minister Tony Blair greeted the groundbreaking 1997 election result in the constituency by saying his national victory had been secured. Brighton and Hove Labour Party has been thrown into disarray by the surprise decision and will meet today to discuss choosing a new candidate.

Brighton and Hove City Council deputy leader and Hove constituency chairwoman Councillor Sue John is considering standing and finance councillor Simon Burgess confirmed he will also run.

Mr Caplin insisted his decision had nothing to do with the Iraq war. He said: "This is a major decision and this announcement is about being honest about the future. There are other opportunities and other challenges I would like to pursue. This is not about policy or politics and Tony Blair will continue to have my strong support."

Mr Caplin worked as a quality manager in financial services for Legal and General for two decades before going into politics.

Mr Boles, said: "Like everyone else, I wish Ivor the very best in his new career.

"There has been talk and rumours in the Labour Party about whether he was going to hold the seat and our canvas returns and the Hangleton by-election suggest he wasn't.

"Mr Caplin is facing the reality that would face him at the election and I am sure no-one can blame him for deciding to quit while he is ahead."

Mr Caplin earned enormous respect across the city for his work in regenerating the area but has been dogged by angry protests after throwing his full weight behind the war in Iraq.

Labour colleague Mr Lepper, who represents the neighbouring Pavilion constituency, said: "We did have our differences of opinion over Iraq. But Ivor was sincere in his views and the majority of his constituents respected him for that even if they didn't agree with him.

"It's always good to fight as a sitting MP because people will vote on your strong record but I am sure there will be an excellent campaign and team behind whoever becomes his successor."

The Labour Party national executive committee will begin the process of choosing a new candidate at its next meeting.

Women-only shortlists are usually imposed in late nominations and the strongest female candidate at present is Coun John, who has two teenage children and works as Mr Caplin's office manager.

She said: "I was quite taken aback by the decision but Ivor has obviously made his mind up. I am still taking in the information and considering whether to stand. I will be talking to friends and family before making an announcement in the next few days.

"I have worked very closely with Ivor and we do not have any policy differences."

Coun Burgess has three children and works for both Pavilion MP David Lepper and Kemp Town MP Des Turner.

He said: "I was gobsmacked by the decision and this really has been a big shock to the party. It is for the members to decide who stands but it would be a real privilege to serve Hove. I was very concerned about the decision to go to war but believe the Prime Minister did it because of reasons he thought were right."

Mr Caplin was born in Brighton and educated at King Edward's School, Witley, Surrey.

He gained a National Certificate in business studies at Brighton College of Technology but never went to university.

He joined the Labour Party in 1980 and stood for election two years later.

He was elected to Hove Borough Council in 1991 and in 1995 became council leader. When Hove and Brighton merged he became deputy leader of the city council as well as winning the Hove and Portslade seat.

He served as Parliamentary private secretary to the Leader of the House Margaret Beckett and later became a party whip.

Mr Caplin is married to Maureen and has three children, Daniel, Jodie and Joshua. He and his family live in Hove.

3gulls said:
So what happens to Falmer now?
My guess is that he might step down as a minister before the election, giving us another local MP in a position to throw his full weight behind the campaign - without a political position to protect, he might be particularly effective.

He was always a careerist who blew whatever way the wind was blowing in the Labour Party - good riddance. No real principles, so not suprising he is f***ing off to make a lot of money out of all the contacts he's made in Parliament. War-mongering creep.

But his fight for Falmer was one of the very few things he sincerely believed in and, although I can't stand him, I would always praise his support for the Albion in high circles in this, our direst hour of need.

It will make absolutely no impact on Falmer - all the good lobbying work he's done has already been done, and I think done very effectively, as the outcome will show next year.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
shame you didn't know him personally before launching into that tirade of abuse.

If you did I think you may have had a different opinion of him.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Maybe he has a future at the Albion? Prehaps an invovlement with the Falmer development could be his new "business career "?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
He was always a careerist who blew whatever way the wind was blowing in the Labour Party - good riddance. No real principles, so not suprising he is f***ing off to make a lot of money out of all the contacts he's made in Parliament. War-mongering creep.

But his fight for Falmer was one of the very few things he sincerely believed in and, although I can't stand him, I would always praise his support for the Albion in high circles in this, our direst hour of need.

It will make absolutely no impact on Falmer - all the good lobbying work he's done has already been done, and I think done very effectively, as the outcome will show next year.

In all fairness that is the majority of MP's, very few are true to their principles for their entire career. Look at the re-invention of say Portillo.

Until he became a minister he was not the worse constituency MP, but it does seem he is jumping rather than lose that seat.

What chance of Lord Craplan to join Lord Bassam?

dave the gaffer said:
shame you didn't know him personally before launching into that tirade of abuse.

If you did I think you may have had a different opinion of him.

Eh? If that was aimed at me, I've met him more times than I've hot dinners, 20 years of involvment in the local Labour Party here makes that depressingly inevitable.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that he realises that he is one of the MPs most likely to lose their seat at the next election so he has made an obvious decision.

Not in this particular case but what would happen if there were to be a swing to Tories so that Lib Dems held the balance of power with Norman Baker being a leading Lib Dem!!!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Ivor Caplin to resign

From the BBC:

"The Junior defence minister and Hove MP, Ivor Caplin, is stepping down at the next general election. The Labour MP says he's keen to take on "new challenges" in his working life. Mr Caplin has represented the people of Hove and Portslade for a decade, first as council leader then as an MP. He denied that disagreements over the funding of the military operation in Iraq had prompted his move."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here