Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ITV picture quality

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I don't usually get all geeky about this sort of thing, but is it just me or does the ITV picture of the cup final seem a bit...youtube like?

Fuzzy all over the place, and they can't get the colour balance right with the sun/shadow.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It was the same on Wednesday with the Champions League final I thought. It's much better quality on Setanta.

Haydn-4

May 4, 2008
The Lab.
With itv, it seems to be constant trash. You would think in this day and age, they would offer HD viewing. Great for those who have Freesat Hd, although they rarely mention that anymore? At least with the bbc, you could watch the cup final in HD

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Annoying shadow on the pitch. I thought the position of the new stadium was supposed to solve that problem.

Mar 13, 2008
Ahhhhhhhh, I thought it was my TV so stopped watching.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The picture is very good on Setanta. The commentary is not.

The picture is crap on Setanta , much worse than the regular Sky Sports channels , Setanta's effort is on par with Motors TV which is also abysmal. The picture is fine on ITV HD by the way. Watching ITV on Sky is a joke as they have crammed all 15 regions onto one transponder and the only decent one to watch is ITV SouthWest which has bitrates the same as a HD transmission because its being used as a temporary feeder signal for DTT (Freeview) relay transmitters.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
With itv, it seems to be constant trash. You would think in this day and age, they would offer HD viewing. Great for those who have Freesat Hd, although they rarely mention that anymore? At least with the bbc, you could watch the cup final in HD

You can watch ITV HD on a Sky+HD box if it has the new epg. BBC & ITV are the only HD channels you can pick up on a Freesat box.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
You can watch ITV HD on a Sky+HD box if it has the new epg. BBC & ITV are the only HD channels you can pick up on a Freesat box.

ITV HD - seriously? They've been trailing the (overdue) new epg for ages - any idea when we all get it?

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Funnily enough I was going to post a thread about this today - on my mediocre LCD telly, the picture is always poorest watching football on ITV. Notably fuzzy especially whenever a team in red is playing.

As carrot cruncher points out above, the BBC cup final broadcast was always a better picture than ITV's effort

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
ITV HD - seriously? They've been trailing the (overdue) new epg for ages - any idea when we all get it?

Only available to Sky+HD boxes , the epg has been rolled out to Thomson and Pace boxes , Samsung and Amstrad boxes will be possibly updated by the end of June. When you get the new epg it will allow you to manually add the ITV HD channel into "other channels" , you cannot record programmes and basically there is only about 4 or 5 HD programmes a WEEK and the rest of the time all you will see is a on screen caption.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
The picture is crap on Setanta , much worse than the regular Sky Sports channels , Setanta's effort is on par with Motors TV which is also abysmal. The picture is fine on ITV HD by the way. Watching ITV on Sky is a joke as they have crammed all 15 regions onto one transponder and the only decent one to watch is ITV SouthWest which has bitrates the same as a HD transmission because its being used as a temporary feeder signal for DTT (Freeview) relay transmitters.

Then it must improve somewhere over the Atlantic because Setanta is perfect here. No complaints at all.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
when i compared ITV's coverage on wednesday of the Champions league final to Sky's - it was a shocking difference in picture quality. sky was far superior (both SD quality).

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Only available to Sky+HD boxes , the epg has been rolled out to Thomson and Pace boxes , Samsung and Amstrad boxes will be possibly updated by the end of June. When you get the new epg it will allow you to manually add the ITV HD channel into "other channels" , you cannot record programmes and basically there is only about 4 or 5 HD programmes a WEEK and the rest of the time all you will see is a on screen caption.

Thanks (and to TGC) - we've got an Amstrad box, so will have to wait. May be handy occasionally.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
The picture is crap on Setanta , much worse than the regular Sky Sports channels , Setanta's effort is on par with Motors TV which is also abysmal.

I used to find this but had my dish realigned recently and it has made a big difference to a lot of channels.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here