Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Italian government

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
PR seems to suit some countries better than others, Germany a success.

Perhaps to do with a nation’s psyche?

Good point. One which I confess hadn't occurred to me. But you may be onto something.

Would it work here in the UK? I suspect we would be at least as bad as Italy.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good point. One which I confess hadn't occurred to me. But you may be onto something.

That’s always been my suspicion, long before the ludicrous binary politics in the UK today.

Some nations eg Denmark, Germany, Norway just seem more grown up.

We’d fall into the hopeless hung parliament category with Belgium, Italy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Proportional representation. No stability. No continuity. But a brilliant country and people nonetheless.

My views on PR are well known (albeit I like the STV system as applied within constituencies).

I think the Germans tolerate and subsidise Italian and Greek profligacy, corruption and general tinpottery in the EU for the holiday destinations, cuisine and birds. Sorry - I mean the stability that the union gives to Europe.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Historically I might have agreed with you, but I think has politics has changed over the last few years. The Conversatives used to be a broad church of beliefs, now they're dominated by the ultra-hardline ERG. Anyone towards the center (Nicholas Soames, Rory Stewart, Ken Clarke etc) have all been booted out. This horrible shift towards populism has results in extreme voices ruling the roost. Moving to PR would result in more moderate voices imo and better representation, which is a good thing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Historically I might have agreed with you, but I think has politics has changed over the last few years. The Conversatives used to be a broad church of beliefs, now they're dominated by the ultra-hardline ERG. Anyone towards the center (Nicholas Soames, Rory Stewart, Ken Clarke etc) have all been booted out. This horrible shift towards populism has results in extreme voices ruling the roost. Moving to PR would result in more moderate voices imo and better representation, which is a good thing.

That’s the progressive alliance hope of some left wing voters, anything to get the Tories out.

In reality, even in the last 7 days, Labour figures have made it plain that they won’t work with the SNP, there was very good analysis on the radio recently of Labour-LibDems having been very long-term adversaries (“they can’t stand each other”) at local and national level. The SNP would just manipulate Labour to gain independence.

Without Scotland it would be touch and go. In England at the 2019 GE right wing and centre right parties took 49.3% of the vote.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
PR seems to suit some countries better than others, Germany a success.

Perhaps to do with a nation’s psyche?

think their main parties are closer together, makes coalitions easier.

for PR to work here we'd need to have the major factions within Conservatives and Labour split so you end up with a 3 centrist parties (inc Liberals) and a few nutter left/right/green groups. and i wonder if PR might precipitate such a split because they'd not need to be wedded together.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That’s the progressive alliance hope of some left wing voters, anything to get the Tories out.

In reality, even in the last 7 days, Labour figures have made it plain that they won’t work with the SNP, there was very good analysis on the radio recently of Labour-LibDems having been very long-term adversaries (“they can’t stand each other”) at local and national level. The SNP would just manipulate Labour to gain independence.

Without Scotland it would be touch and go. In England at the 2019 GE right wing and centre right parties took 49.3% of the vote.

Labour can't do anything other than oppose the SNP. The SNP would support Labour only if Labour promised another referendum, which the SNP would win. All labour can do is strongly voice opposition to a referendum (which is what the tories have done and why they have 6 seats in Scotland to Labour's 1).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
think their main parties are closer together, makes coalitions easier.

for PR to work here we'd need to have the major factions within Conservatives and Labour split so you end up with a 3 centrist parties (inc Liberals) and a few nutter left/right/green groups. and i wonder if PR might precipitate such a split because they'd not need to be wedded together.

Good point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here