Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] IT help!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Am hoping the great IT minds of NSC will be able to help me as this is not an area I am comfortable with at all! I'm trying to use a second monitor with my laptop but cannot make it work.

I've used second monitor's many times over the years and never had this issue so hoping someone can help me. I've got a new laptop, ASUS Vivobook and a second, also new, ASUS monitor. It's connected via a USB type C cable but the PC won't detect it. In Device Manager under Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub there is a warning code 10 - this device cannot start.

I've restarted the computer, uninstalled the device, made sure I've got all latest updates but nothing. Google has not helped either. Anyone know how I can fix this as it's driving me a little insane! Would be eternally grateful!

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
Does you monitor work with another computer? To rule out a duff monitor.

Does your laptop connect OK to another monitor using that C connector? To rule out a problem with the laptop.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Exactly as above, have you got another device that you can try to connect.

3 possible points of failure:

1. Laptop USBC port
2.cable between laptop and monitor
3. Monitor (or monitor usbc port)

Try and beg borrow or steal a second device and/or cable if you can, also try plugging in a device to a different connection on the monitor (eg HDMI(

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Exactly as above, have you got another device that you can try to connect.

3 possible points of failure:

1. Laptop USBC port
2.cable between laptop and monitor
3. Monitor (or monitor usbc port)

Try and beg borrow or steal a second device and/or cable if you can, also try plugging in a device to a different connection on the monitor (eg HDMI(
Thank you for the reply.

I don't think it's the monitor or cable as I've tried it with two different monitor's now and the same problem persists. I previously thought it was the monitor as it was quite an old one but clearly not.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Am hoping the great IT minds of NSC will be able to help me as this is not an area I am comfortable with at all! I'm trying to use a second monitor with my laptop but cannot make it work.

I've used second monitor's many times over the years and never had this issue so hoping someone can help me. I've got a new laptop, ASUS Vivobook and a second, also new, ASUS monitor. It's connected via a USB type C cable but the PC won't detect it. In Device Manager under Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub there is a warning code 10 - this device cannot start.

I've restarted the computer, uninstalled the device, made sure I've got all latest updates but nothing. Google has not helped either. Anyone know how I can fix this as it's driving me a little insane! Would be eternally grateful!
Check this -https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1048768/ you may require an additional driver.
Is HDMI an option?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Is there a separate power supply for the monitor, or is the USB-C cable supposed to power it? It could look like the monitor is on (power light on), but it might not be receiving enough power to work properly & be detected.
If you do have a separate power cable for the monitor, it's worth plugging it in with that, even if the USB-C is supposed to power it.

EDIT: Also check that the USB-C port you're using on the Vivobook supports video output (DisplayPort over USB-C or Thunderbolt). Not all USB-C ports support video output.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Is there a separate power supply for the monitor, or is the USB-C cable supposed to power it? It could look like the monitor is on (power light on), but it might not be receiving enough power to work properly & be detected.
If you do have a separate power cable for the monitor, it's worth plugging it in with that, even if the USB-C is supposed to power it.

EDIT: Also check that the USB-C port you're using on the Vivobook supports video output (DisplayPort over USB-C or Thunderbolt). Not all USB-C ports support video output.
Thank you and you're last line has nailed it! Didn't know that at all, just found out - off to replace the monitor with something appropriate!

Thank you for all of your help. God I wish I was more clued up on this stuff sometimes! A whole morning down the tube! :ffsparr:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Aside from the issue being addressed, how refreshing that no twat thought it would be ' hilarious ' to suggest " have you tried turning it on and off again ". That grinds my gears when people are looking for help :(

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Aside from the issue being addressed, how refreshing that no twat thought it would be ' hilarious ' to suggest " have you tried turning it on and off again ". That grinds my gears when people are looking for help :(
All joking aside, as someone who has worked in IT for many years, you would be surprised how often that is the easy fix. Sometimes a hard boot to kill processes or ports that have got stuffed makes all the difference.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

I would have if I had read this thread in time but I'm trying to spend less time on this message board.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
That wouldn't work, you need to turn it OFF and ON again! 😁

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here