Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is you know who's transfer the modern day Beeney to Leeds

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
act that saved the club like Beeney's transfer kept the tax/vat man from the door?

It seems everyone thinks we are going to have the funds to replace Virgs, which would be good. But could it be to top up the fund who's name escapes me at the moment which I don't believe came anywhere close to it's target?

There must be further losses incurred since the last set of accounts and are the club likely to let on that they are in dire straights when the potential saviour in the shape of Falmer is only a couple of months from getting the green light?

We have managed to rake in 2million plus whatever we get for Harding but it only makes a dent in last years 8 million :(

Tell me I'm wrong and we are going to have plenty to spend on new players please.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:
Wasn't the 8m an accumilation of a few years? Or was it one years debt?

Yes I meant total of 8 million

Which is 2 million more than the Goldstone was, allegedly, sold for ??:angry:

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I thought that we were only in debt by 2 mil. I though that we had lost 8 Million since 97 but had recouped about 6 million leaving the two mill we were trying to get via Alive and Kicking.

At the end of last season i though we had raised 500k therfore the 1.5 mill from the virgo transfer puts us about even?

Or i am completly wrong?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
I thought that we were only in debt by 2 mil. I though that we had lost 8 Million since 97 but had recouped about 6 million leaving the two mill we were trying to get via Alive and Kicking.

At the end of last season i though we had raised 500k therfore the 1.5 mill from the virgo transfer puts us about even?

Or i am completly wrong?

I would LOVE it if you're right but I fear you are not :(

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
DAMAN,

I Thought the same as you, of the debts, 7 million were covered by director loans etc, 2 million shortfall needed to be plugged.

Since then I reckon we have recieved 3.2 million (3.5 if fans raised 500k (I only thought 200k) in extra non-budgeted funds.

Sorry maybe I am being thick but somebody might want to clear this up....

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Yes some of the money will be going to prop the club up - that was obvious. But both Mark McGhee AND Dick Knight have stated that a portion of the the Virgo money will be made available for new players. Why don't people believe them?

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Curious Orange said:
Y. Why don't people believe them?

Without wishing to knock DK, I believe he has been economical with the truth re funds available for players on quite a few occasions, starting with the 2 million we were going to invest in players post Hereford. Or have I twisted or misunderstood that one?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
StaffsGull said:
DAMAN,

I Thought the same as you, of the debts, 7 million were covered by director loans etc, 2 million shortfall needed to be plugged.

Since then I reckon we have recieved 3.2 million (3.5 if fans raised 500k (I only thought 200k) in extra non-budgeted funds.

Sorry maybe I am being thick but somebody might want to clear this up....

Im fairly sure it was in one of the programmes not long after A & K kicked off. I dont really known where the eight million in debt came from!

If we were that far in debt we would not be signing any players.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think DK's in a position where he has to mix politics with business, so one has to take some of the statements with a pinch of salt . . . I think he has to in the clubs interest

when was the last time you saw a 100% honest businessman who'd made a fortune :rolleyes:

I'd hope 2/3 to manage th4e clubs situation and a 1/3 to manage the sides survival in the championship . . .that in itself ensures a better income so its a false economy not to invest in the squad

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Apologies if I have misinterpreted the debts, it could well be that the Directors are covering the bulk of it and it is technically not a debt of 8 million.

Good, things are better than I thought then :)

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I don't know where everybody has got this 8M debt from, it isn't anything like that. Putting Withdean together, the Falmer enquiry and money we lose through playing at Withdean, has come to 9.5M, and the directors and others fund-raising intitiatives raised 7.2M, which is why DK came out last year and said we have a debt of 2.3M which we are now struggling to service.

A fair chunk of that has now been covered with the sales of Cullip and Currie, the Spurs cup tie, plus the A&K appeal, totalling around 1.1M. Season ticket sales will have covered the rest of it for the time being, hence the reason why only some of the Virgo transfer money is going to prop the club up, and not all of it.

We also have the money from Harding to come, again a lot of which McGhee may well get, not all, and once we have a yes on Falmer (which barring some major catastrophe, WILL be yes), the 3M odd that we spent on the enquiry comes back into the coffers from the building contractors, which covers any short term loans the directors have given. It may even leave some surplus over for the January transfer window, although I wouldn't bet on that. Hence the reason why a stadium YES decision can't come quick enough.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Icy Gull don't ever expect tea and iced fancies from the dynamic duo of Costa and Watts after raking up the old £2million for team strengthening.
In some countries you'd still be stoned to death for less!!!!!!!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
MM has just been on the local BBC news saying he will get a fair proportion of Virgs money to spend on players.

Yes Damanclay you're right and we should be about even now although all the time we're at Withdean we're running at a loss.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I put this thread up in semi jest :(

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here