Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this the worst top 40 ever

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
My very first kiss went a little like this, *mwah* *mwah* and twist, *mwah* *mwah* and twist.

My very first kiss went a little like this, *mwah* *mwah* and twist, *mwah* *mwah* and twist.

Heard that this morning and have had it in my head all day!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The top 40 is for youngsters and has always been considered shit by old 'uns. That's the way it should be no?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I am insanely jealous of when you see pictures of the Top 40 listings back in the late 60s etc. It was ridiculous, would be something like:

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. The Kinks
3. Deep Purple
4. Johnny Cash
5. The Beatles
6. Elvis Presley
7. Sly & The Family Stone
8. Stevie Wonder

etc.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
California Girls is f***ing ace.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
I am insanely jealous of when you see pictures of the Top 40 listings back in the late 60s etc. It was ridiculous, would be something like:

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. The Kinks
3. Deep Purple
4. Johnny Cash
5. The Beatles
6. Elvis Presley
8. Stevie Wonder

etc.

How could you miss out The Who?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know what you're saying but there is always good stuff out there, sometimes you just need to look elsewhere or dig deeper.

If you want a pointer go and by Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. The Kinks
3. Deep Purple
4. Johnny Cash
5. The Beatles
6. Elvis Presley
8. Stevie Wonder

etc.

Poetic licence being used there, you'd also find Englebert Humperdink, The Tremeloes, Esta and Abi Ofarim, The New Seekers, Pet Clark, Tom Jones and the Monkees etc interspersed to lower the quality :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Poetic licence being used there, you'd also find Englebert Humperdink, The Tremeloes, Esta and Abi Ofarim, The New Seekers, Pet Clark, Tom Jones and the Monkees etc interspersed to lower the quality :lolol:

I know, I know...

but honestly, the other day I did see a photo of an old Top 40 and the Top 6 or 7 were all utterly class acts. Would never get that nowadays.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think it's about context, and about unfair comparisons.

Quite often when comparing today's music with that of our youth the songs we remember from our youth are frequently the ones that stand the test of times, or ones that struck a chord with you that are forever intwined in your heart with a special time. It is the soundtrack to your youth. I'm guessing for most guys on here, Britney Spear's "Im not a girl, not yet a woman" was commercial pap, contrived and written specifically to promote a film. For her tweenage fans, it was an anthem that spoke to where they were at it's time of release

You compare only that which stuck with you, that which stood the test of time with absolutely everything that is out there now. The crap that will be forgotten next week, the crap that won't be remembered next year, and the stuff that could form the soundtrack to today if it is used in a particular way - playing on the radio when you're driving your loved one out for a picnic to propose to her, or constantly on the radio over the course of Albion's promtion winning season.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I would say The Monkees and The Tremeloes are far better than anything in this weeks top 40

I prefer Chris Moyles' Wolverhampton Gurls!

A while back I heard a song on the radio by The Charlie Twins called West Country Boy. I think Mark Ratcliffe might have had something to do with it but I can't be too sure.

Why are there so many crap versions and samples taken from decent songs and now ruined. Another thing that really makes me spit fire is when the young of to day think that some cover versions are the original.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I would say The Monkees and The Tremeloes are far better than anything in this weeks top 40

I haven't heard it but if this is the case it must be a shit top 40 :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here