Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this Molangos chance?

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Cant see this anywhere else so have a look at this.

Phil Mulryne has joined Albion on trial, Dean Wilkins is effectively in the same position for the manager's job.

History suggests Wilkins will not have long to wait before discovering whether he will be offered the post permanently or return to the first team coaching role he has occupied since the summer. He is the fourth caretaker manager to be appointed by chairman Dick Knight.

Jeff Wood had three matches in temporary charge before landing the post full-time in succession to Brian Horton.

continued...
Ten matches and only one point later Wood was axed and Martin Hinshelwood,the Seagulls' current director of football and former boss, was handed the reigns for a 2-1 win at Plymouth prior to the Micky Adams era.

Long-serving assistant Bob Booker, who lost his job with Mark McGhee last week, was caretaker twice. Next Tuesday's Carling Cup tie at Southend amounts to a freebie for Wilkins.

At most the next five League One fixtures, beginning with Bournemouth tonight and ending at home to Chesterfield on September 30, will decide his fate.

Knight is sure to have made his mind up, at the latest, by the time Blackpool visit Withdean in front of the Sky cameras on October 8.

If Wilkins is appointed he is likely to be working with a more experienced figure head, although his older brother Ray has already been ruled out by Knight.

In the meantime, the futures of players such as Mulryne, Tony Stokes and Maheta Molango have been thrown into confusion by McGhee's sacking.

Northern Ireland international midfielder Mulryne was released by Cardiff after injury problems.

Stokes, into a second month on loan from West Ham, was excluded from the squad at Millwall on Saturday, while Molango is back from a loan stint at Oldham after being outof- favour for so long under McGhee.

"We've spoken to Phil," Wilkins revealed.

"We've tried to explain to him our feet haven't touched the floor and the last thing on our minds to be honest is Phil.

"We need to try to get through tonight with three points and then maybe we will have time Wednesday or Thursday to think about that.

"Tony will clearly be disappointed that he's not started. I felt he did really well in the first couple of games he played, so he is certainly not out of contention,.

"I spoke to Maheta on Sunday and I've just said to him let's see how the next couple of weeks go. He's got a lot of respect from the players and all the staff for his first-class attitude towards training. We'll be honest with him and let him know if he is part of the near-future or not."

chez

Jul 5, 2003
Well, if nothing else we will now get a second opinion on him. If Wilkins doesnt rate him then he obviously isnt gonna cut it. In fact that will be 4 managers that haven't rated him after being sent back from loans with Lincoln & Oldham.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
jonny.rainbow said:
Apart from points when he spends the entirety of the game in offside positions.
He's played, what, 2-3 games? If it's more, I'd be surprised if it was many more than that.

To be honest, I think his being frozen out at a time when we couldn't score for toffee was when my eyebrow started raising a little about McGhee (Roger Moore on Spitting Image style).

He may well still turn out to be complete crap but I really don't think he's been given much of a chance to prove much at all. Maybe it's not too late.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Well there's got to be a reason he was dropped after 2-3 games (where he did look hopeless) and NEVER got back in. Deano says his attitude in training is good so it can't be that. He made no impact at Lincoln, in the end he couldn't get in the team and ended up back in Spain somewhere. He was crap at Oldham.

I'm more interested in how Mulryne does than Molango.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Silent Bob said:
Well there's got to be a reason he was dropped after 2-3 games (where he did look hopeless) and NEVER got back in.
Apart from the goal and not that bad a performance away at Reading of course. Strikers can easily take more than 2-3 games to settle in but McGhee just wrote him off far, far too early.

And we do need a new midfielder, more than ever. Is this Mulryne playing tonight?

chez

Jul 5, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
Apart from the goal and not that bad a performance away at Reading of course. Strikers can easily take more than 2-3 games to settle in but McGhee just wrote him off far, far too early.

And we do need a new midfielder, more than ever. Is this Mulryne playing tonight?

Is he allowed to play while only being on trial?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (I've been away for a bit), but why has Dick ruled out Ray Wilkins teaming up with his brother? Money? They don't want to work together themselves?

Personally I think that would be an interesting prospect.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Come on people - this is Molango we're talking about. He's had plenty of chances to show he can cope with English football and not taken any.
Sometimes you have to accept that if a player shoots like a donkey, passes like a donkey and has the touch of a donkey then he's probably a donkey.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I agree with Voroshilov, the Molango situation has a striking similarity with the McCammon situation of last season. People were crying out for McCammon to be given a chance and when he was, he obviously wasn't up to it. I would love to be proven wrong, but I think it is very optimistic to think that the answer to our striking problems is Maheta Molango.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Voroshilov said:
Come on people - this is Molango we're talking about. He's had plenty of chances to show he can cope with English football and not taken any.
Sometimes you have to accept that if a player shoots like a donkey, passes like a donkey and has the touch of a donkey then he's probably a donkey.
How many games has he played?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Man of Harveys said:
How many games has he played?
Brighton - 4 starts, 1 sub, 1 goal.

Lincoln - 5 starts, 6 sub, 1 goal.

Oldham - 3 starts, 2 sub, 1 goal.

Oldham and Lincoln (management and fans) both deemed him not good enough.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Voroshilov said:

Yeah, but he has the touch of a CAMEL ???

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Molango is SHITE, he was AWFUL at oldham..

may i remind you of this Oldham fans opinion:

Watched him for the first time today under the warning of him "being lightweight and quite shit". He scored our first goal of the season in a 1-0 win over Swansea but that is by the by. He is without a shadow of a doubt the most hilarious footballer ever. He has the touch of a baby who has yet to learn to walk and has no concept of the offside trap. He was standing 12 yards (at the very least!) offside, was passed the ball, was flagged offside - only to hold his hands together in prayer and disbelief when the referee gave it! Laugh? I nearly wet myself. "Lightweight and quite shit"? That's a bloody compliment! Take him back!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here