Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the NSC username Gullywog racist?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Seem to remember a right old hoo ha on hear a few years ago over the username Sambo, a derogative term for a black person, though the person involved insisted it was simply a play on his real name, Samuel.

Just like Das Reich , insisting his real name is Darren ???

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My wife when referring to our dogs often calls them the 'doggy-wogs'. Is that racist? I neither know nor care. And 'Sambo' is a perfectly acceptable diminutive of Samuel, if a bit twee. I can't believe people thought it was racist.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Depends what colour your dogs are.
One's black, one's brown and one's golden. I thought it might be 'funny' in a sort of 'oh-my-gosh', post-modernist ironic way to have called the black one '******' in honour of Guy Gibson's dog, but out of deference to our black next-door-neighbours (and with a nod to modern cultural niceties) we called him Murphy instead.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
One's black, one's brown and one's golden. I thought it might be 'funny' in a sort of 'oh-my-gosh', post-modernist ironic way to have called the black one '******' in honour of Guy Gibson's dog, but out of deference to our black next-door-neighbours (and with a nod to modern cultural niceties) we called him Murphy instead.

Yes - good decision - standing outside your back door shouting "******" probably would not make your neighbours feel very comfortable.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes - good decision - standing outside your back door shouting "******" probably would not make your neighbours feel very comfortable.
Indeed. We didn't seriously consider it; after all no one would know that I was being ironic, 'edgy' and dangerously post-modern - they'd have just thought I was a racist twat.

I AM bored with the whole thing though. I would agree with your earlier point that if no racist intent was meant then a word per se is not offensive and it's all about context. Ergo one could argue that it's ok to say something like "paki shop" in an affectionate manner as a term of endearment, whereas 'f***ing paki' is offensive.

(Before someone picks me up on that I did say 'one could argue' rather than 'I believe that', but like I said I'm bored with the whole "Is it racist to say ...?" debate. I've got my views and they ain't going to change.)

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
There's a non white chap who lives in Nutley who introduces himself as ****** Charlie and is quite happy to be called it. Think I'll introduce myself as Cross dressing PSB from now on.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

My mum has recently taken in a black cat that just started turning up at the house. She would call ''BLACKY'' quite loudly out the back door at meal times. My father and I had to point out that the neighbours might find this a bit weird so the cat is now called 'Beauty', which is a much worse name.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
My mate calls his son Sambo - It is well dodgy if he shouts it out in the pub, street or other public places.

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
My mum has recently taken in a black cat that just started turning up at the house. She would call ''BLACKY'' quite loudly out the back door at meal times. My father and I had to point out that the neighbours might find this a bit weird so the cat is now called 'Beauty', which is a much worse name.

When I was young the pooch called Sherry used to be let out in the evening and then wouldn't come back in. So we would regularly stand at the back door and shout "Sherry here - you bad dog" (why we thought that was good dog control I have no idea.

Oblivous to the fact that the new neighbours name also turned out to be Sherry. She must have loved us. We then changed technique to whistling and going and getting the hound.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here