Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Slade that bad?

wilbar

Aug 15, 2005
Herts
I must admit did not know a lot about Russell Slade and took no interest in him until I heard the rumours Dick was interested in him..I was not excited about the idea as it seems reading post on here most people are not.But thought I would check him out and to be honest quite impressed..

Russell Slade (born 10 October 1960) is an English football manager. He was the manager of Yeovil Town until Monday 16th February 2009.

Slade was assistant manager to Mick Walker at Notts County, and took over as caretaker manager when Walker was sacked in September 1994. When County appointed Howard Kendall as manager in January 1995, Slade stayed on as his assistant. However both were sacked in April of the same year, and the club were eventually relegated as the bottom club in Division One. Slade later had two separate spells as caretaker manager at Sheffield United.

Slade's first permanent managerial post was at Nationwide Conference side Scarborough. When he arrived in November 2001 the club were adrift at the bottom of the Conference and looking doomed. His first match in charge resulted in a home win over Farnborough Town but the next three games yielded just one point. However a remarkable run of 39 points from the final 19 games of the season meant Scarborough finished 12th. He was hailed as a hero by the fans and his stock rose when taking the team to 4th position by Christmas in the 2002–03 season. In January 2003, two days after the club went into administration, Slade tendered his resignation. The fans presented a tearful Slade with a petition at the next game and on the Monday morning he changed his mind. But six straight defeats followed and the play-off dream faded, Scarborough eventually finishing in a creditable 7th place.

The following season saw mixed league performances, but a tremendous FA Cup run which saw victories over Hinckley United, Doncaster Rovers, Port Vale, and finally Southend United following a replay, meant a glamorous home tie in front of Premier League Chelsea. Despite losing 1–0 Slade's side had put up a tremendous battle. At the end of the 2003–04 season Grimsby Town in League Two appointed him as their new manager.[1]

A midtable finish ensued in the 2004–05 season but despite some disgruntled fans calling for his head, Grimsby spent most of the 2005–06 season in an automatic promotion spot in League Two, although they finished the season in 4th place and had to settle for the playoffs. Despite guiding his team to a semi-final victory over Lincoln City, Slade was unable to secure promotion, Grimsby losing 1–0 in the final against Cheltenham Town in the Millennium Stadium. Three days after their defeat, it was announced in a joint statement that Slade had left his post. The statement cited "a failure to reach a contractual agreement" as the reason for his departure.[2]

Slade's success with Grimsby had attracted League One side Yeovil Town, and within a few days Slade was appointed as the Somerset club's new manager.[3] Slade led Yeovil to a surprise 5th place finish play-off finish in the league, where they defeated favourites Nottingham Forest to reach the play-off final. However, Yeovil lost the final against Blackpool 2–0.[4] Slade's successful first season at Yeovil saw him win the League One manager of the year award, and he was targeted by League One rivals Carlisle United and Millwall for their managerial positions but this interest was rejected by Yeovil chairman John Fry.[5]

Slade left his post at Yeovil on 16th February 2009, despite having won 4 consecutive matches immediately prior to this.[6] Slade had become frustrated with the club's lack of ambition, although the club chairman John Fry had previously stated that changes would be needed due to the current economic climate.[7]

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not for us.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Shouldn't be on the radar IMO.

wilbar

Aug 15, 2005
Herts
Why? Took over Scarborogh bottom of the conference took them to 7th. plus an amazing F.A cup run....Took over Grimsby took them to 4th and the play offs...Took over Yeovil and took them to 5th and a play off...none of these clubs expected anywhere near those finishes... He must have something about him...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Scarborough , Grimsby and Yeovil are tin pot clubs , we are BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I always preferred Wizzard myself.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Scarborough , Grimsby and Yeovil are tin pot clubs , we are BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION

Why was gannon brilliant for getting Stockport to the league2 playoff final but not slade for getting yeovil to the league 1 one. In what way are yeovil more tinpot than Stockport? You lot are just unbelievable sometimes!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Stockport have pedigree , Yeovil are country bumpkins only famous for being giant cup killers when they were non-league.

I think he is one of the best managers outside the top 2 divisions. His teams play good football and he is known for getting in un-none players and training them up until they are 50 or 60 % better and valuable. I would be very pleased to have him as our manager although some fans may not like his soft approach.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I Think Slade would be a good appointment for the Albion because he would be a calm head on firm shoulders. I think this because a bit of experience is what we need at the moment.
Slade wouldnt want a stupid amount of money compared to some of the other applicants. I also think he could take us through to Falmer, which i would prefer compared to a manager who is resonably new to the trade and may take time to settle in.
Personally i want a manager who can be effective immediatly

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
good manager and I rate him

He fell out with his board at Yeovil. That's ok in itself but I did hear a rumour that elements of his behaviour were unacceptable. Have no way of knowing if true or not.

Would I be happy if he were appointed? Yes. He has a talent for bringing talent through at all levels (including his backroom team). He has experience at our level and (most important right now) of scrapping for survival. Potentially not a bad pair of hands.

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
Russell Slade lived in my village for two years when he came to Yeovil. He is a top bloke and what impressed me was how informed he was about Brighton. On one occasion we were all sitting at the bar after getting back from the 3 nil defeat against West Ham when he came in and started asking how certain players had performed. He knew his stuff! Yeovil fans are very angry about his departure and I think the board are wholly to blame. One ex Chairman and total supporter of Yeovil has now said he is no longer having anything to do with the club after their treatment of Russell. He has the habit of taking teams and improving them considerably - he is also able to attract players - which, considering Yeovil is in the sticks, is quite amazing. I think we could do a lot worse.:albion2:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Russell Slade lived in my village for two years when he came to Yeovil. He is a top bloke and what impressed me was how informed he was about Brighton. On one occasion we were all sitting at the bar after getting back from the 3 nil defeat against West Ham when he came in and started asking how certain players had performed. He knew his stuff! Yeovil fans are very angry about his departure and I think the board are wholly to blame. One ex Chairman and total supporter of Yeovil has now said he is no longer having anything to do with the club after their treatment of Russell. He has the habit of taking teams and improving them considerably - he is also able to attract players - which, considering Yeovil is in the sticks, is quite amazing. I think we could do a lot worse.:albion2:

welcome to NSC and thanks for a positive and reasoned contribution:clap2:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I too can't believe how negative people are about Slade, he's had 3 jobs and done decent jobs in all of them. Gannon has done a decent job at one club, Slade is much more proven but people were creaming themselves over Gannon but slagging off Slade??

People need to be realistic about who we can get. Slade is attainable and would do a decent job, if he hadn't been forced to sell all of his good players at Yeovil they'd be either in the Championship or close to the top of League 1, isn't that where we want to be??

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
i know several yeovil fans and they all think he did a fantastic job there. Yeovil have no money, one of the smallest attendances in the league, and he's done a fantastic job in league one for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here