Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Oatway good enough?

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I love Charlie as a character but he is not good enough for this division. He got a few good tackles in last night but all he does is just stand off players which is why we failed to get out off our half after Nicolas went off. When we had Nicolas and Hammond together we looked a much better side. We need a physical player like Hammond who can Block, not stand off. Has McGoo got the guts to drop him. The last manager who did drop him was Peter Taylor!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Simply re-arrange these letters..................................ON

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
John Byrnes Mullet said:
I love Charlie as a character but he is not good enough for this division. He got a few good tackles in last night but all he does is just stand off players which is why we failed to get out off our half after Nicolas went off. When we had Nicolas and Hammond together we looked a much better side. We need a physical player like Hammond who can Block, not stand off. Has McGoo got the guts to drop him. The last manager who did drop him was Peter Taylor!
Well said, JBM.
Charlie is very brave but he isn't strong enough.

Oatway was our best midfielder last night, all over the pitch keeping superior ball players like Kavanagh relatively quiet. Hammond started in the middle but played poorly, wasting possesion, until moving out on to the right flank where he looked better. Nicolas did OK out the right but needs more time in the position. Currie didn't make the most of what limited position he got. Chippy looked a bit rusty with a few misplaced passes but will get better.

So blaming Charlie for our supposed poor performance - I actually didn't think we were that bad against a decent team that played well - is the usual scapegoating nonsense.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Until we can afford better, then yes he is.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Yes, he is good enough to be in the team (not starting 11)!! I don't think Jones or Mayo are good enough to play at this level!!!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
He played quite well last night - in fact when he's selected as skipper he always does...

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
LI

I do not blame Charlie and his heart is in the right place but I personally believe he is not good enough. he is however a reasonable back up for when we are backs against the wall so will probably play most games this season

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I should Cocoa.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Charlie looks worse then he is because he is not alongside a creative midfielder which just highlights the fact that Oatway will not hit defence splitting passes.

However, he did get his foot in and does show for the ball and although he only ever passes it five foot, he does tend to keep it.

He sat off Kavanagh when Cardiff had the ball in their own half which was obviously something McGhee had told him to do because Kavanagh was not hurting anyone getting the ball on the edge of his own box.

Charlie played ok last night up against a superb player in Kavanagh. He is not going to set this division alight but he is more then good enough to help us out when we need to dig in and grind out a result.

I think this is again to do with the problem of people having unrealistic expectations. As long as we keep picking up points we will be ok.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
compare him to nicholas, and he isn't half as good. Nicholas can do the holding job much better and tends to find a brighton player with his passing whereas charlies still is guilty of aimless hoofing at times

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Jam The Man said:
He played quite well last night - in fact when he's selected as skipper he always does...

You obviously weren't watching the same game as me, kavanagh cleaned the floor with him and had a free role.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
bhafc4eva said:
You obviously weren't watching the same game as me, kavanagh cleaned the floor with him and had a free role.

Dead right - we need to stop other teams midfield running games and Oatway cannot do that at this level

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Oatway was our best midfielder last night, all over the pitch keeping superior ball players like Kavanagh relatively quiet. Hammond started in the middle but played poorly, wasting possesion, until moving out on to the right flank where he looked better. Nicolas did OK out the right but needs more time in the position. Currie didn't make the most of what limited position he got. Chippy looked a bit rusty with a few misplaced passes but will get better.

So blaming Charlie for our supposed poor performance - I actually didn't think we were that bad against a decent team that played well - is the usual scapegoating nonsense.

Not entirely sure what game you were watching on Tuesday night, but I guess it is all about opinions.

I think the whole midfield was poor and Carpenter when on did not look fit. However although Oatway made a couple of crucial blocks towards the end, for most of the game he looked out of his depth. Hammond offers so much more than Oatway in the middle and surely at home we would be better with a more natural wide player with Hammond and Carpenter (pressuming Nicolas is not fit) in the middle on Saturday.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
NO. Nicolas can do everything Charlie can do defensively, plus is able to use the ball effectively - he has a limited role as a spoiling player to bring on late on, like at Gillingham, but he's not good enough to start regularly in Div2, let alone this level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here