Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is my housemate a RUDE bastard?

Is my housemate a RUDE bastard?

• Yes- It's your dvd, Max. You should have first 'go'

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • No - You put it in the public domain, he probably thought it was okay.

Votes: 37 72.5%

• Total voters

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So, my Lost in Translation dvd arrived the other day and I am planning to watch it on Friday. Imagine my HORROR when i arrived home yesterday to find my housemate watching the extras. Fair play i had put it in the front room with the rest of my dvd's (becasue i volunteered my player for the front room as it is mulit regional) but should you watch somebody elses dvd before they have had a chance to? I can't tell you how pissed of I was with him but I didn't say anything because i might have sounded petty, it's not like he was watching the actual film or anything.

I liken this case to when you buy a newspaper and go make a cup of tea but return to find someone flicking through the sports pages. You paid for it so surely you should have first chance to use it before anyone else, WITHOUT QUESTION!!

Anyway, am I being petty or his my housemate a RUDE bastard?

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I take it this wasn't the same housemate that was cooking you toad in the hole the other day?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If it was still in the cellophane, he was rude.
If it wasn't, then it was maybe a little bit cheeky, but "rude" would be a bit strong.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It was out of it's celophane wrapper, does this put out some kind of sign that it is okay for others to watch it?

Muzzman - different housemate, the Toad in the Hole was marvellous though.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Personally I'd say it was fair game

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think it's a little petty.
But it's exactly how i would feel too. I get annoyed if anyone reads the week's tv guide on a Saturday before me.

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
Seems fair enough to me. I'd do the same if I was him. Top film by the way.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
It was out of it's celophane wrapper, does this put out some kind of sign that it is okay for others to watch it?

Muzzman - different housemate, the Toad in the Hole was marvellous though.

Hmmm.. well then I'd have to throw it open into the public domain but only if your housemate wasn't aware of your own personal DvD rules at the time. If he was then it's a totally different story and he deserves a dry slap.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Not really, no. Thats why I'd say it was a little bit cheeky. But if it WAS in its cellophane wrapper, then it is clearly brand spanking new and should be totally off-limits without the permission of the owner. I guess he saw it, shrugged and thought "well, its open anyway", and indulged himself at your expense.

I would be mildly irritated I think. I'd probably get my own back by wiping a bogey on his pillow.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
That'll teach you to leave stuff lying around you slovernly git.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
yes its an unspoken rule in our house - I don't open the boxes of rusting car scrap that get delivered every day for Mr Tedebear and he doesn't open the Victorias Secret catalogues that I get ever other week!! ;) :lol: but once its open.....

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
bhaexpress said:
That'll teach you to leave stuff lying around you slovernly git.

It wasn't 'lying around', BUTTMUNCH. It was with all the rest of my dvds.

I take the points on board that as i had opened it then it's in the public domain and fair game but he knew that i had only just recieved it. I thnik i am most annoyed that he didn't ask, even after he had started watching it, if it was okay. This would probably had made me feel better but he tried to make it okay by saying, 'it's only just started'. So WHAT? I thought to myself.

It may be a personal thing, I don't like people borrowing stuff anyway, maybe i should move all my stuff, including the dvd player, back into my room. That should send out a message.

Or maybe I am getting too wound up by a non event?

Easy 10 said:
But if it WAS in its cellophane wrapper, then it is clearly brand spanking new and should be totally off-limits without the permission of the owner. I guess he saw it, shrugged and thought "well, its open anyway", and indulged himself at your expense.

I would be mildly irritated I think. I'd probably get my own back by ..

.......playing one of his brand spanking new CDs before he gets a chance to !
:lolol:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
If you've volunteered your DVD player for the lounge, and have all you DVD's in there for people to watch then putting a new one there would be a sign that it's fair game.

Why would i keep my dvds in my room if my dvd player is in the lounge?

For some reason this has really wound me up, i think the fact that he keeps drinking my squash and never buying any himself is doing my nut too.

A little chat is in order me thinks.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
coach03 said:
.......playing one of his brand spanking new CDs before he gets a chance to !
:lolol:
You'll notice the (c) beneath my name - that means you are FORBIDDEN to edit my replies when quoting me. My lawyers are watching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here