Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Liam Bridcutt's place in jeopardy for Friday?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hammond, Crofts and Bridcutt were all playing the same position today but the decision was taken to replace Bridcutt. Previously unquestionably untouchable, by replacing him today has Gus shown his hand?

I'm sure the majority of people on here would prefer a maximum of two holding midfielders rather than 3 (Anyone fancy a midfield 4 of Hammond, Bridcutt, Crofts AND Dicker?), so would you leave Bridcutt on the bench in favour of Hammond and Crofts?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Hammond, Crofts and Bridcutt were all playing the same position today but the decision was taken to replace Bridcutt. Previously unquestionably untouchable, by replacing him today has Gus shown his hand?

I'm sure the majority of people on here would prefer a maximum of two holding midfielders rather than 3 (Anyone fancy a midfield 4 of Hammond, Bridcutt, Crofts AND Dicker?), so would you leave Bridcutt on the bench in favour of Hammond and Crofts?

Or was he taking just him off to protect him for friday (he is on 4 yellows)?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I'd hope he's not dropped as he's the only one of those three centre midfielders who can actually pass the ball.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London

Never ...Gus has his favourites and he cert is one of those... this is a big problem for us these players playing so deep... CMS needs more support and a player running at them here is a MUST...prob is the spaniard is always injured

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So far as I am concerned, Liam Bridcutt is the best central midfielder I've seen play for Brighton. I wouldn't drop him, especially not if we're going to play with the two holding midfielders which we should do. If we played Bridcutt with just one partner and gave him more responsibility defensively and more options to pass to in attacking positions, I think we'd get the best out of him again. He's being stifled at the moment, all our midfielders are. They need space to do their work, not two other players in their way clogging the whole game up.
[MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] raised a good point there though to be fair, it could have been a nod to the 4 yellows situation.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Bridders is not the passer some of you make him out to be ... just count during a game he puts us under needless pressure with a misplaced pass

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I'd hope he's not dropped as he's the only one of those three centre midfielders who can actually pass the ball.
I would disagree with that as I feel Liam's distribution has been average this season. Hammond is a better passer of the ball and Dicker is much better at threading passes to our more advanced players.

Liam is fast becoming our very our Ray "Right Angle" Wilkins, not a bad thing but we can't play three holding midfielders and be adventurous at the same stage.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

Dicker should not even be in the squad,no i would not drop Bridcutt

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
Any of our midfield yesterday could be replaced on Friday. They were chasing shadows for most of the match and when we did get the ball back we gave it away quickly. Whilst Bridcutt has not been up to his high standards of late, Hammond rarely passed forward and Crofts' first touch was so poor his second was always a tackle.
Grandin was a class above our midfield. His power and forward drive and shooting reminded me of the guy we had from City who fell out with Gus and never played.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why is Crofts being held back?

I had visions of him marauding forward from a position just in front of Bridders.
Not standing next to him, holding his hand.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the reason he was substituted was that Gus wanted to see how we would cope without BRIDCUTT, which we will soon as he is on 4 yellows and the style of his play says he will get another card soon probably at home to Leeds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here