Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

is it wrong to mock the way roy hodgson speaks?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not nice, plenty of other people have speech impediments which are not generally alluded to. However, The Stun has form for this sort of thing and seems to always get away with it. Frankly, Roy Hodgson may not be the most enigmatic and engaging England manager but lets give him his time to have a go at the job before ripping in.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I wouldn't say it is wrong but I would say it is childish and petty minded... News International comes to mind.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it not offensive per se to call him "Woy", a little gentle jibbing. to make a whole front page tailored around the point if petty and childish.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Having it as a headline in a "news" paper is pathetic. On the whole probably done him a favour though as lots of the negative publicity toward his appointment has been turned on the Sun instead and people are feeling sorry for him.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm not really sure how to elucidate how I feel on the matter.

On one hand, I think it is childish and silly to mock Mr Hodgson for his speech impediment. On the other hand, I loathe it when people are offended on behalf of someone else. Sachsgate drew in something like 5 complaints from listeners before the tabloids ran with it and invited another 30k + to say they had been offended or found it offensive - quite probably people that didn't even hear it.

I wholly expected them to fish out and defend themselves by getting someone like Jonathon Ross to come out saying it was all a bit silly and inoffensive.

They got their front page further than the readership - Do people really part with 20 hard earned pence? - so job done, I guess.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm not really sure how to elucidate how I feel on the matter.

On one hand, I think it is childish and silly to mock Mr Hodgson for his speech impediment. On the other hand, I loathe it when people are offended on behalf of someone else. Sachsgate drew in something like 5 complaints from listeners before the tabloids ran with it and invited another 30k + to say they had been offended or found it offensive - quite probably people that didn't even hear it.

I wholly expected them to fish out and defend themselves by getting someone like Jonathon Ross to come out saying it was all a bit silly and inoffensive.

They got their front page further than the readership - Do people really part with 20 hard earned pence? - so job done, I guess.

They part with their 20p in exchange for a couple of thruppenny bits

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not so sure that it is a case of being offended on behalf of someone else but knowing what is decent and acceptable.There is a line and the paper went over that line. If it was an affectionate type of ribbing then calling him Woy on the sports page would probably have been acceptable but it was front page, glaring headlines with 4 instances of his speech impediment. It was clearly designed to try and make him look inadequate for the job when in fact, he can speak several languages and is an intelligent man. The IPCC received 100 complaints and the FA quite a few, so not that many people actually complained but many more, such as here on Nsc, have commented to each other that it was out of order.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
The Sun would argue its just a bit of banter but watch it get nasty if things go tits up. I didn't agree with the headline & saw it as a cheap shot. Hodgson is a good coach. Its easy to detract from that when there's such an obvious avenue for a piss take. See these brain dead cretins take full advantage

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
Apparently loads of kids who also have a "Wossy woof-wack" were getting picked on more than usual because of it.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
A lot of people take the piss out of me for the way I speak because I have a slight lisp and it really can knock my confidence. As I've got older it's not so bad but I couldn't be the best man at my mate's wedding when asked because public speaking is something I just can't do. It made me feel a failure.

Nothing surprises me with The Sun and how low they can stoop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here