Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it wrong to enjoy a minutes silence?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
a minutes silence?

I raised this in college on Thursday, and some people weren't too impressed.

Obviously, a minute/2minutes silence is a very emotional time, especially for those directly involved, and that should not be forgotten.

But am I the only one who finds a period of complete quiet fascinating? For example, at Withdean (at bigger grounds your likely to get some tossers who try to ruin it) silences are generally observed well, all you can hear is some traffic, the leaves in the wind, and occasionaly the train go by. For some reason, that sends shivers down my spine. (awaits a joke about Withdean being permanently silent).

Today at work, the customers stopped, and the staff stopped. People outside stopped. The cannon went off signalling the beginning and end of the silence.

It's moving stuff, and it's a great way to remember the lives of others, but should it be enjoyed? Or am i just a complete weirdo? :lolol:

Last edited:

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Withdean Wanderer said:
I raised this in college on Thursday, and some people weren't too impressed.

Obviously, a minute/2minutes silence is a very emotional time, especially for those directly involved, and that should not be forgotten.

But am I the only one who finds a period of complete quiet fascinating? For example, at Withdean (at bigger grounds your likely to get some tossers who try to ruin it) silences are generally observed well, all you can hear is some traffic, the leaves in the wind, and occasionaly the train go by. For some reason, that sends shivers down my spine. (awaits a joke about Withdean being permanently silent).

Today at work, the customers stopped, and the staff stopped. People outside stopped. The cannon went off signalling the beginning and end of the silence.

It's moving stuff, and it's a great way to remember the lives of others, but should it be enjoyed? Or am i just a complete weirdo? :lolol:

Er yeah! :ohmy: ;)

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
you are not only a weirdo, but a freak as well:)

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
sir danny cullip said:
Wouldnt say its enjoyable but it is fascinating in public places eg footy stadiums how quiet everything can go.

Maybe that's why i got flamed. Enjoyed is probably the wrong word for it.

Oh and Scott, I always knew i'd get your backing! :p

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
A minutes silence is done for paying your respects.It's not to be enjoyed with party hats and silly string like you make it out to be
Try this link as it might help you

www.am_i_normal_doc.com

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
rogue said:
with party hats and silly string like you make it out to be

Did I? as i said above, enjoyed was clearly the wrong word. Hmmmm.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i enjoy minutes silences, just the way that somewhere is so quiet, and you know that in under one minute the place is going to explode with noise

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here