Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] is it time to retire the pint?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
As every day passes I feel completely gratified by the realisation I was born in 1961, and I am now an old man and can take solace in the fact that a lot of this crap isn't really going to impact on me. It's a pint, change it to whatever you wish, I'll find a way around it or make do, crack on!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I do drink halves sometimes when out for what would have been a few years ago “a few pints”. But that’s simply age. If we got rid of the pint I suppose there’s also no halves. Half of what?
I find I drink two halves quicker than a pint. I think it's something to do with 'finishing it off' or something psychological like that. So, I would end up drinking more if we went down this route!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I find I drink two halves quicker than a pint. I think it's something to do with 'finishing it off' or something psychological like that. So, I would end up drinking more if we went down this route!
It's weird though, isn't it. I go out, normally a couple of times a week, 7.15 ish to 9 (when suppers ready and I daren't be late :ROFLMAO: ) and sometimes I drink a pint and sometimes three or even four, sometimes I'll leave at 8.30 because I've finished my drink and don't want another. I find making my own mind up works for me, and, as you say, changing to smaller glasses may make people drink more ..... but just imagine all those glasses the industry will have to shift .... every home in the country will have hundreds of pint glasses given away by landlords who'll then get loads more branded ones from an industry that'll then charge more because, like decimalisation, we'll all be too lazy to work out what the price should be.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
You know for a fact the prices wont change though, we'll be paying the same as we would for a pint for less the volume if this should ever happen.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's weird though, isn't it. I go out, normally a couple of times a week, 7.15 ish to 9 (when suppers ready and I daren't be late :ROFLMAO: ) and sometimes I drink a pint and sometimes three or even four, sometimes I'll leave at 8.30 because I've finished my drink and don't want another. I find making my own mind up works for me, and, as you say, changing to smaller glasses may make people drink more ..... but just imagine all those glasses the industry will have to shift .... every home in the country will have hundreds of pint glasses given away by landlords who'll then get loads more branded ones from an industry that'll then charge more because, like decimalisation, we'll all be too lazy to work out what the price should be.
There is an advantage to being a grown up!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Where did you live?
Lived out in New Zealand and travelled around East Asia for a bit after that before heading home.

Wonderful drinking culture in most places but the ability to sit down and just have a drink in a nice setting was difficult almost everywhere compared the UK. The places would either close at ridiculously early times (NZ) or you'd need to order food with your drink (Japan/Korea) as per cultural norms. New Zealand it also seemed to be a choice of pretentious schooner at a craft brewery or the worst bogun pub you can imagine.

Pubs are great in the UK. They are reliable and everywhere - a great place for one or four, whatever the occasion calls for! Pints are a massive cultural part of that experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here