Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it possible to get an SD memory card that is more than 2GB

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
You would think so wouldn't you. But I have an MP3 slot in my car and it won't take SDHC cards. Only SD will do. Any ideas?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes - my camera has a 4GB one.....................

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yes - my camera has a 4GB one.....................

What make? and check that it isn't a SDHC. My camera has a SDHC of 8Gb, but that won't work in the MP3 in my car. It needs to be just SD please.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
You can get 4GB standard SD cards, but they're very rare. They go no bigger, all above that are SDHC.

Check for an SDHC firmware update for the car radio - some of them have updates that allow SDHC to work.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
You would think so wouldn't you. But I have an MP3 slot in my car and it won't take SDHC cards. Only SD will do. Any ideas?

Check with the manufacturer that that an SD card larger than 2GB will work. My car has an Alpine based unit and if doesn't seem to work with cards larger than 2GB.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
if you get a 4gb card make sure you format it as fat and not fat32. I suspect your radio will need it as fat format which all smaller cards are formatted as

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
if you get a 4gb card make sure you format it as fat and not fat32. I suspect your radio will need it as fat format which all smaller cards are formatted as

Impossible, FAT is an old file system thus has a maximum partition size of 2GB. so you would need to have 2x 2GB partitions.

Also, you can get 4GB SD cards, but there was never a standard for them - so your mileage may vary - SDHC is the only real way for cards larger than 2GB (if of course your card reader / camera / mp3 supports SDHC)

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Impossible, FAT is an old file system thus has a maximum partition size of 2GB. so you would need to have 2x 2GB partitions.

Not impossible. The restriction with FAT is 65536 clusters so just make the cluster size 64k and that will allow you to format a 4gb card using FAT. And I have done it, card would not work with a device formatted as FAT32 but would as FAT

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Why not buy an cassette player ........................and a trailer to carry the tapes in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here