Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gus going ott?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps Gus is using it to gee up the other players to achieve more and think about the game more rather than just drift along and lose concentration.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I see it as him being generously praising of his friend. Of course he's going to go ott, but I don't think it will upset the players. Assuming they're not divas, Im sure they see it as just that.

Whenever anyone retires they get more praise than perhaps is warranted for their most recent performance, and their flaws ignored. It's just the done thing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gus is presumably looking for a reaction from the players, to get them to go out there roll their sleeves up and prove him wrong, but I'm just not sure this is the right way of about it. I think if he's not careful he's going to go too far the other way, at this rate they'll be taking to the field with an inferiority complex. Confidence will obviously have taken quite a bashing these last few games, so having your manager announcing you're just not up to it at this level is not going to inspire is it. We haven't suddenly become a bad side the last 4-5 games.

Personally I think Gus needs to tone these public remarks down a tad, or it could end up doing more harm than good.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tanno showed for the hour exactly what everybody knew, that he was a classy full back, unfortunately the time and tide wait for no man. If Calderon or indeed any of our players could emulate Tanno it would be to everybodys advantage.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think he's gone far enough now. He needs to have other ways of dealing with defeats / bad performances, otherwise what happens if we go on a run or 4 or 5 defeats, he can't just embarrass them more and more each week.

Point made now Gus. We have nearly 2 weeks to the next game, so we can now work on building their confidence back up, deal with things such as closing players down, in training. We're 5th in The Championship, and need the players to have confidence to play our passing style. Sending them out on the 15th feeling like we're relegation fodder is not going to be productive.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Totally agree with Easy and Gritt on this. He's gone too far in these last two statements. We were riding high on confidence early in the season, so to further destroy what little most of the squad seem to have left seems absurd. I'm not trying to paper over the cracks, we have some big problems to overcome, I just don't see this as helping.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Good proof reading at the Argus:

"Poyet’s former Tooetnham team-mate"

Back to the point though, it's true he was our most experienced and best defender. Greer said something similar after the Palace game. He was a class above, but unfortunately didn't have the legs to play more than an hour or twice in a week.

Don't see that as a criticism to anyone else, just praise for a quality player.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Let us hope Tanno can become as effective and brilliant a defence coach as he apparently was as a player.
Unfair or not,the present signs suggest he still has some way to go!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here