Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gary Hart really that good?

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Over the past couple of seasons OGH really seems to have lost his ability to go past players and cause mayhem in the box. I know his broken leg affected him but is it time for us to sell him on (if we can) and replace him? I think Saturday was a prime example of a player who is not really up to the standard needed if we are to progress as a club. He has been a great servant to the club and one of my my favourite players but maybe it is about time he moved?:(

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
It is a real shame how he's never really recovered properly since his injury, but one thing he will always give is 100%, even though he's lost his edge i'd still keep him for now.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
As has been mentioned on another thread, we wouldn't get any money for him - wouldn't even get the set of tracksuits back I imagine - although that says more about the current economic climate in football than it does about OGH himself. I hope he doesn't go anywhere - haven't seen him for a few games, admittedly, but the last few times I have seen him (including Middlesboro & Hartlepool away, and Grimsby home) he's run his legs off for the team, and the only times he wasn't running was when he was standing in 50 yards of space on the right, arms in the air as another pointless ball was hoofed up the left or the middle.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
I know he always gives a 100% but so does Charlie.....they are both Albion legends to me but it strikes me as time for us to clear out and start again.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Since he broke his leg he has lost his main asset, pace.

He is still dangerous at times and will give you 100% but is defenitely lacking enough speed to beat players.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think he has come out of a particularly indifferent spell, and the last couple of home games at least, he has been a little more like the OGH of old. But his good games for us are getting fewer and further apart. Dropping back down to D2 seems to have affected him, and he's not the only one. Watson, Hart, Jones and Mayo, all look as though they are living on borrowed time at the moment. They've all performed better at this level last time round (Oatway has always been rubbish).

As someone mentioned earlier, I think they have gone stale. The engine needs an overhaul in the summer. Replace a few points and sparkplugs, and an oil & filter change, to get the engine running smoothly once again.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Someone suggested on NSC a few months back that OGH might make a good right-wing-back/ right-back. To my mind that's not a bad idea. Ok, he 's a bit rash in the tackle at the moment ( Brentford away) but he's still pretty quick, aggressive and tenacious and with a bit of training/coaching, could make a good wing-back / right back.

The full-back positions are a problem because niether Watto nor the Ginger Pele are pacey. Could this be the answer?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
He does have a good cross on him.

Like most of the team he hasn't been on top form this season though.

He doesn't even seem to chase down so much.

He'll do much better for us when the side are on form and he can play his game.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
I have to say in all honesty I've never been the biggest OGH fan.
IMHO he never possessed much pace, his game was about a little dip either way and then attempting to barge his way past. Cut inside more often than getting to the line to deliver but never shot as often as I would have liked. Most average defenders can frustrate him, he would more often than not simply give up trying to beat them and have a set to with his marker instead.

A shame because he's another whose loyalty I admire but just wish they had a little bit more about them. Plenty worse candidates for a clear out though in my book.

It's a shame, but he's lost the plot this year without doubt. Whether this is a result of the bad injury he suffered at Peterbrough I'm not sure? As I remember, GH was fairly consistant last year. He could be just a victim of the general apathy that is affecting the team at times? Maybe his future is in the wing back/full back role? He played in that position for a while at Reading last season. He looked like he'd played there all his life.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I think he has recovered well from the broken leg and did not appear to have lost the edge last season. This season though is a different story with some mediocre (at best) performances. That said I thought he had an ok game on Saturday and looked like getting back to his best despite giving the ball away for the first goal.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The man himself has admitted he's having a shocking season and I guess a change of manager every few weeks doesn't exactly help. You can have a poor season when you've had as many good ones as he's had and are a club legend (I don't think he had a poor season last year). But he's got to start producing the goods again next year or he'll fade to a squad man. But the fans will stick with him longer than McGhee, that's sadly the case folks.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
portlock seagull said:
The man himself has admitted he's having a shocking season and I guess a change of manager every few weeks doesn't exactly help. You can have a poor season when you've had as many good ones as he's had and are a club legend (I don't think he had a poor season last year). But he's got to start producing the goods again next year or he'll fade to a squad man. But the fans will stick with him longer than McGhee, that's sadly the case folks.
Christ if i had a change of manager at work that certainly wouldn't bother me,so lets face it they get paid good money to perform and no excuses full stop.

No time for sympathy in football these days as its straight forward you perform or you end up out.:smokin:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Berkshire, take your point but that's just not reality. Nobody has consistently good performance in any line of work. A footballer's in rating is more subjective than most too - there's no website I know of that discusses yours or my quality of work that I know of! And if there was imagine how dull it would be?

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Yeah i catch your drift,but thats my attitude as they adore there job and get paid for it,but watching em sometimes just makes you laugh at how they get away with it grrrrrr.:censored:

Donny Osmond

Jul 6, 2003
Give him time. Every player goes through a bad patch and I am confident that OGH can get back to his best by the end of the season.
Rest him for 4 0r 5 games and show him he is not indespensable to the club.
I remember up at Gillingham in his early days when he picked the ball up in his own half ran at the defence and slotted home.
Next time I was at school I was telling my prem supporting friends that we have got a player that could get in any prem team and was worth at least £1'000'000:lolol:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Hartie has had his day I think and should be moved on as soon as possible. I don't think he's cutting the mustard in Div 2 although it saddens me to say so.

:(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here