Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Billy Sharp Worth the £1million+ Investment??

well...

• Yes - lets take the English leagues by storm

Votes: 53 36.8%
  • Yes - but only if we sell Murray

Votes: 38 26.4%
  • Undecided - it is a huge gamble

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • No Way - he wont cut it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We dont have that kind of money so stop dreaming

Votes: 27 18.8%
  • We dont need to add to the sqaud

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Sharp is a gobby little shite who we shouldnt touch!

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
All ifs and buts of course

He is a proven goal scorer at this level, and he has the potential to score in The Championship too. We have confirmed an interest in him, as have Doncaster. It is reported Doncaster are putting together a £1,000,000 bid for him.

Is it a good investment for us if we had the money? He scored 52 goals in 83 for Scunthorpe and could potentially rip this league apart upfront with Dickinson, Forster, Davies, Hart and hopefully Murray (although the sale of Murray would offset some of the Sharp fee)

Good investment or too much of a risk. Our signature signing to prove we mean business!!

Billy-Sharp_1617055.jpg

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
As has been shown continually - most supporters are clueless about the club finances. We must think we can afford it - so why not ? Just so long as we have a team that can play to his strengths.

To see how well clubs are going to do I tend to look at where the goals are going to come from.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
He is worth £1m, but even if we have the money I'm sure they will be othe Championship clubs who will want him.

This kind of signing is just too early for us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Northern lad, has the chance to go to Championship Doncaster, just one good reason why he'd want to come to us please??

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If we can afford it, HELL YES :thumbsup:
That's my view, the operative phrase being 'IF we can afford it'. One of the great things about Dick Knight was that he didn't make risky, expensive speculations on players we couldn't afford who perhaps 'could do a job'. Yeah fine if they did but a disater if they didn't - so Knight wisely never took the risk and we still have a club as a result.

If the club finances are sufficiently sound that risking a million is like risking 10,000 five years ago then fine. If we still need to watch the pennies then no.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This kind of signing is just too early for us.

exactly. some seem to think we suddenly have bags of money, we dont. the playing side has still got to pay its way.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
atleast 6 months too early really, if we're up in the mix for playoffs then I'd say yes, but WAY too risky at the moment

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
exactly. some seem to think we suddenly have bags of money, we dont. the playing side has still got to pay its way.

There is that, or there is a quick fix option too. We risk £1million, he scores loads of goals, his value goes up to £1.5million - £2million or maybe more? Bloom then has money back, and the playing side can pay its way. Or the gamble back fires and Bloom loses another million on top of the £90million he just paid out for the stadium.

I just think if he scores goals, people will come and watch and we get a good vibe going on at the club moving into Falmer. All hypothetical obviously :)

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
atleast 6 months too early really, if we're up in the mix for playoffs then I'd say yes, but WAY too risky at the moment

The thing is none of us know if it's risky because we don't really know the budget. As Brovion says, it might be that a million for us now is like ten grand was, ie. hardly nothing. If that's the case and it's not a risk then let's do it. If it's a signing that has even the SLIGHTEST possibility of getting us in money trouble on the other hand, steer clear.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Too early my arse. Murray will be off sooner or later and the money we get from that sale could be used to offset a serious bid for Sharp. It would also send a strong message of intent and IF we did manage to get him, what an exciting signing - the best since Zamora.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Too early my arse. Murray will be off sooner or later and the money we get from that sale could be used to offset a serious bid for Sharp. It would also send a strong message of intent and IF we did manage to get him, what an exciting signing - the best since Zamora.

......I agree,if murray goes for 600 k plus .

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Northern lad, has the chance to go to Championship Doncaster, just one good reason why he'd want to come to us please??

Having lived in both cities, I would much rather be in Brighton. Very friendly people in Donny, good market and some nice Georgian buildings in the centre, but it lacks the vibracy and beauty of the south coast.

On a footballing front its fantastic that clubs like Donny can bid for players like this, when I was up their they were on their knees playing in a crap stadium. Looks like we may be on our way to a similar path.

Its all about money, how much has Bloom got to throw at us, if its a lot, it may way talk. Lets hope so its been years since we have been awash with strikers, 2-1 down with 10 minutes to go, lets stick 4 up front and go for it.

Brighton, location, location, location..........................Donny, championship football this year

Attachments

• bl_sea_front.jpg
    bl_sea_front.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 818
  • doncaster10a.jpg
    doncaster10a.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 831

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
its not just finding the transfer fee. Having been in the Championship at Sheff Utd after a £2m transfer from Scunny, he's probably on a fair old wedge now. You've got to assume he'd come in to the club as the top earner, which can create its own problems if we're running to a strict wage structure.

I'd love to see it happen, and maybe the sale of Murray would help offset it, but I can't really see it happening. I think he's a bit beyond our means at the moment.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If he fires us into the Championship then the investment alone would immediately be repaid. Bloom has the money make no mistake. it's not as if he (sharp) is an unknown quantity. Fans need a hero, let's get him!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
No one, other than those at the club know how much we have to spend on transfers so let's not speculate as to whether or not we can afford him. Bloom may feel, like many on here, that he would be an exceptional investment and one that it'd be likely we'd make a profit on if he done well.

I do think Murray will be involved in the deal if it did happen and as, like Sharp for us, he would be a sound investment for United.

The fact that we've been monitoring Sharp means that it's highly likely that the club will know how much he's probably going to cost.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here