Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

is any body else worried about the chances we create??

Bertiehuburn

Nov 19, 2010
im putting this post out there to say we have a top quality sriker in CMS but is he getting the service he requires!! vicente when fit obviosly has the quality to provide not only CMS but with the wingers with a defence splitting pass!! but i am worried when the cental midfied parnership has no creativity and we do need that 1 player that in the middle produces magic!! bridcutt is brill at what he does but we need something different alongside him!! this doesnt come cheap or easy we know this!! but our defence is not the problem as we are 7th and look at how many goals we have scored compared to others!! silly mistakes have cost us goals!! i seriously think the problem is central midfield a bit more physical presence there and that 1 creative spark may be the difference????

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Not overly worried as there are only 3 more matches until the transfer window opens, and the indications are that Gus knows we need to bring a few in. If we can get 4 or 5 signings in January ( Reyes/another, a striker - not Paynter, 2 midfielders and a goalie ) then we should be around the top 8 at the end of the season, and certainly in a position to further build in the summer.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm not worried, this was patently obvious right from the start of the season, but no-one cared as we were winning.

This is all about creating a team that can do well at this level, so like any good manager would do, Gus is building from the back. Stop conceding goals, and when that is working, start being more aggressive up front. Its exactly what he did when he started, as you'll remember we didn't score many goals in his first 10 games or thereabouts, or seem to play that well, but we gradually stopped shipping goals and turned into a very good side that won the division at a canter the next season.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
If we score more goals the mistakes at the back won't be as costly will they.....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not overly worried as there are only 3 more matches until the transfer window opens, and the indications are that Gus knows we need to bring a few in. If we can get 4 or 5 signings in January ( Reyes/another, a striker - not Paynter, 2 midfielders and a goalie ) then we should be around the top 8 at the end of the season, and certainly in a position to further build in the summer.

You think we have to replace half the team and still only end up in a possible eigth place!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It is pretty pathetic, its also very dull to watch. When you only make one or heaven forbid three chances a game, you are not going to win many matches. And if the keeper is throwing them in at the other end, you stand little or no chance of getting even a draw. If you dont create chances you dont score goals, simples!!!...Gus is still riding the crest of a wave atm and I think the goals and chances will come. But people want to see goals and excitement, its what keeps the drifting fans coming back...If Poyet keeps serving up boring football with no chances, then it wont be long before people vote with their feet and that has all sorts of implications.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I am. Football should be a source of entertainment, not a war of atrition. I'd rather do the shopping or the gardening than watch a side get one shot on targer in 90 minutes. It breaks my heart to see CMS starved of service every week.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
I'm not worried, this was patently obvious right from the start of the season, but no-one cared as we were winning.

This is all about creating a team that can do well at this level, so like any good manager would do, Gus is building from the back. Stop conceding goals, and when that is working, start being more aggressive up front. Its exactly what he did when he started, as you'll remember we didn't score many goals in his first 10 games or thereabouts, or seem to play that well, but we gradually stopped shipping goals and turned into a very good side that won the division at a canter the next season.

Good points. This is how Mancini at city started "growing" his team and look at them now. Granted he has top top players but the principle exists.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Said it before but its no coincidence that our creative football has died off since Dicker got injured. People may not rate him and I don't want to argue about that now, but I think its clear that we've been unable to fill the gap with another progressive passing midfielder that properly brings people like Noone & LuaLua into the game.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

A very sensible post.

I would be worried if we were bottom of the league and not creating chances. Gus knows it is a problem and will try to change it, but he is not just going to buy anyone - if he cannot get the players he wants he will not buy - I hate to think what will happen on NSC if that happens!

From tiddleywinks through chess to boxing, you wouldn't want to come away from a contest knowing that you weren't much of a threat to the opposition.

If CMS isn't getting the ball, then teams are effective in cutting off his service - and thereby running the match.
Say what you like about it, our tactics are clearly not all that much cop.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It's not ideal that we seem to be creating fewer chances,not ideal at all,but given the injuries we have had it comes perhaps as no real surprise to some degree-

The fact that we have only conceded more than 1 goal in a game since Hull (11 matches) and keep things tight the other end,coupled with the ability to beat or not lose to most teams below us will help us through.

I know the team are trying,it really is a work in progress and as much as i would love to see flair every single match,the ability to grind out results is what it's all about.

7th not playing out of this world-i would take that as a final position right now-

We will have to ride our luck & snatch ours along the way, what will happen when everybody is fully fit and stay that way for a while.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

This

We need new/better players in important areas - Goalkeeper/midfield x 2 and perhaps another defender. Thats how i see it!!!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

Good post

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I am. Football should be a source of entertainment, not a war of atrition. I'd rather do the shopping or the gardening than watch a side get one shot on targer in 90 minutes. It breaks my heart to see CMS starved of service every week.

Yes but that is a building process, if everyone could just turn on a tap and play entertaining football then everyone would be doing it

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I suspect it will come right soon,though there may have to be a bit of a rethink in the January sales.

Sadly,at the moment if the other lot score it seems to be game over.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I`ve been thoroughly bored by the majority of our performances this season but we`ve got an excuse in having just come up to what is a very difficult league to play in. But I do want to be entertained when I watch football so if things are still like this at the same time next season then I think the dissenting voices will get louder.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
You think we have to replace half the team and still only end up in a possible eigth place!

Reyes and Paynter go back in January so they need replacing just to stay where we are. 3 other signings isn't really a squad overhaul.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here