Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is alchohol worse than ecstasy?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Horizon, Tuesday 5th February 2008, 9pm, BBC Two

Recent research has analysed the link between the harmful effects of drugs relative to their current classification by law with some startling conclusions. Perhaps most startling of all is that alcohol, solvents and tobacco (all unclassified drugs) are rated more dangerous than ecstasy, 4-MTA and LSD (all class A drugs). If the current ABC system is retained, alcohol would be rated a class A drug and tobacco class B.

The scientists involved, including members of the government's top advisory committee on drug classification, have produced a rigorous assessment of the social and individual harm caused by 20 of the UK's most dangerous drugs and believe this should form the basis of future ranking. They think the current ABC system is arbitrary and not based on any scientific evidence.

The drug policies have remained unchanged over the last 40 years so should they be reformed in the light of new research?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Depends what the ecstacy is cut with dunnit. Certainly in it's pure form it is 'okay' but I've certainly had some pills with very questionable substances in, including speed, laxatives and almost definitely poisons.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Yes it is - causes more crime, violence and general naughtiness. Having said that we dont know the long term effects of Ecstasy yet unlike booze and the shoeing that gives your body over the years.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
IMO no - although i loved my time with pills, and they really changed my perspective on life completely as an 18 year old - they also melted my brain a little bit, i never took more that 1 in a night but i struggle to sleep sometimes and have weird little panic attacks now and again, this is all 4 - 5 years since having my last one.

i think that in 10-20 years time the mental health effects of long term ecstacy use will come to light - after all, it's artificially releasing endorphines which is just not right when sustained for long periods.

i know we've been drinking alcohol for hundreds of years but you know exactly where you are with it, the most you'll get (unless you're an alcoholic) is the shits and bit of puking.

no doubt if we'd never discovered alcohol and it was invented tomorrow we'd all be going loopy and it would be a class A drug!

i know we've been drinking alcohol for hundreds of years but you know exactly where you are with it, the most you'll get (unless you're an alcoholic) is the shits and bit of puking.

According to government statistics there were 8,758 alcohol related deaths in the UK in 2006 so it does cause more harm then "a bit of puking".

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1091

It would be political suicide to raise the rating of alcohol or lower that of ecstasy so neither will ever happen regardless of scientific opinion.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
Yes it is - causes more crime, violence and general naughtiness. Having said that we dont know the long term effects of Ecstasy yet unlike booze and the shoeing that gives your body over the years.

alcohol only brings out the person inside though - i have never commited a crime, fought or been generally naughty when slaughtered, this is because i'm a reasonably grounded nice enough person. for example, if somebody's a twat sober then no doubt they'll become a super-twat drunk, i think they call drugs like ecstacy Set & Setting drugs where you're more influenecd by environment than personality, alcohol and cocaine would not fall into that catagory.

ecstacy did calm down england though - it's no coincidence that the end of wide scale football hooliganism and the wide sclae use of ecstacy came at the same time.

ecstacy changed so much, it changed brighton so much, the influence of ecstacy can be seen in so many places - including Skint records who would be nothing without it - so even the Albion is effected.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
According to government statistics there were 8,758 alcohol related deaths in the UK in 2006 so it does cause more harm then "a bit of puking".

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1091

It would be political suicide to raise the rating of alcohol or lower that of ecstasy so neither will ever happen regardless of scientific opinion.

i did put unless you're an alcoholic in my orginal post which i imagine would be linked to a high percentage of those deaths.

i wonder what the comparisons per ratio are with drunkness related deaths and consumption of recreational drugs deaths?

i did put unless you're an alcoholic in my orginal post which i imagine would be linked to a high percentage of those deaths.

So it is ok that alcohol is dangerous to people who get addicted to it? Oh right I'll ignore their deaths and just take us normal people into account. Makes alcohol a lot safer.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I really enjoyed my time on pills, but the following day(and then the Monday/Tuesday blues) were both too much to bare so I knocked em on the head. I can remember them being cut with laxatives and that being no fun - 4 of us out and all nipping off for a shit every 5 mins, where's the ecstacy in that.....
I never fought on pills and I never fought on alcohol, but I do get argumentative on some types of lager(most notably Stella)..
I think the long term effects of prolonged ecstacy usage will be frightening, too many people I know(as above) have continued psychosis and such from a drug they may have stopped taking a while back, although of course its not proven......is it??
I'll stick with the odd bit of bugle these days - personally thats enough

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
alcohol only brings out the person inside though - i have never commited a crime, fought or been generally naughty when slaughtered, this is because i'm a reasonably grounded nice enough person. for example, if somebody's a twat sober then no doubt they'll become a super-twat drunk, i think they call drugs like ecstacy Set & Setting drugs where you're more influenecd by environment than personality, alcohol and cocaine would not fall into that catagory.

ecstacy did calm down england though - it's no coincidence that the end of wide scale football hooliganism and the wide sclae use of ecstacy came at the same time.

ecstacy changed so much, it changed brighton so much, the influence of ecstacy can be seen in so many places - including Skint records who would be nothing without it - so even the Albion is effected.

Look what clubs are like now (some of them) back on the booze and shitty coke. Back to the 'Are you looking at my pint / Did you spill my girlfriend shit'.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Alcohol is GREAT though. Apart from anything else, without it, reproduction rates would be so low, that the very EXISTANCE of the human race would be in doubt!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
More seriously, you can't point at the number of alcohol related deaths, and conclude how 'dangerous' it is without looking at that figure as a ratio of those who use it.

9,000 deaths from a total of what, 40 million alcohol drinkers, compared with less ecstasy deaths, but from a much, much, much lower total.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
We don't know the true long-term effects of E yet. People I know who used it (in higher quality) a lot in the early 1990s suffer really badly from burnout now, but whats to say that wasn't the late nights or booze from the same time...

As goes "ecstasy deaths", the ones I've heard about here have been aggravated underlying heart conditions (which Red Bull can do), or internal drowning (like the infamous Leah Betts case), I've not heard of a direct-effect death. Theres been a few direct-effect deaths from cocaine here in the last year or so, including a (domestically) famous model.

HKFC - I seem to remember seeing figures estimating ecstasy usage at about a million users a weekend in the UK, so that would require 225 deaths a year to equal; I don't think its that high!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Depends what the ecstacy is cut with dunnit. Certainly in it's pure form it is 'okay' but I've certainly had some pills with very questionable substances in, including speed, laxatives and almost definitely poisons.

Shocked to see you being the first to post on here.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the fact is this deabte always misses the points of amount consumed and quality of product. noone ever died of a bad pint of beer. but then legal, controlled and clean ecstacy would probably have fewer issues too. Meanwhile we know that caining 20 pints over the weekend every week for 20 years is not going to be good for you, likewise necking 3 pills a night wont be either. a few bevvies, or the odd pill basically never hurt anyone.

frankly its comparing apples and meat pie.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
HKFC - I seem to remember seeing figures estimating ecstasy usage at about a million users a weekend in the UK, so that would require 225 deaths a year to equal; I don't think its that high!

No-one knows, and that's why its a flawed argument.

The 'drink-related deaths' for example, includes car-accidents, etc where a driver is over the alcohol limit. Similar testing for drug use is very much less widespread, and comparable instances would often be missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here