Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Irish commentary on Turkey v Germany

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Apparently one pundit referred to the two German centre-halves as 'The Twin Towers.'

'They're certainly being destroyed tonight', said another.

Yes, and by a Muslim team! Haha! :thud:

Can you imagine that on the Beeb!?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I could, actually, based on some of the incredible foot-in-mouth moments theres been in the past. Commentators aren't great at thinking before speaking, world-over.

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
I don't know who the commentator was for TSN over this side of the pond, but he yacked on about everything except the game in front of him.
Don't suppose there's a single person on here who remembers Kenneth Wolstenholme or Raymond Glendenning.
Talking about commetaries, long before Television, if there was a big game on, say the Cup Final, {in those days the BBC, with three services. Home Light and the Third Programme, only broadcast national sporting events} but I digress. The Radio Times would have a diagram of a pitch divided into eight squares,
The commentator would say for example, "Matthews is tearing down the wingG" and then add, "Square four", and you knew exatly where the action was on the pitch. I have another good story of test match commentaries on the Sun Terrace by the Aquarium, but my one finger is getting tired, so I'll quit Goodnight all.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I could, actually, based on some of the incredible foot-in-mouth moments theres been in the past. Commentators aren't great at thinking before speaking, world-over.

I'm assured Bill spoke with a 'wry smile' on his face - wasn't exactly a slip.

Sky Sports sacked Rodney Marsh for less.

Anyway...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Don't suppose there's a single person on here who remembers Kenneth Wolstenholme

People maybe not be old enough to remember him, but surely every English football fan should know of him for providing probably the most famous piece of commentary in English football history.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'm assured Bill spoke with a 'wry smile' on his face - wasn't exactly a slip.

Sky Sports sacked Rodney Marsh for less.

Anyway...

I'd expect O'Herlihy to get reprimanded in some way or another for this. Sky, however, were reactionary as always; as you'd expect with Murdoch media. RTÉ have not as yet been reduced to their level, we have TV3 and C6 to pander to that.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
It was a commentator on BBC Radio Derby, Graham Richards, who said "Brian Deane collapsed just like the World Trade Center .. only less spectacularly"

More recently on the Beeb Carlton Palmer described a team as having a holocaust in defence...not quite the right word for it, no matter how bad they were playing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here