Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Invention of Lying with Ricky Gervais - what a pile of shite

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
I'm a fan of the Office and Extras.
Saw this film last night at least hoping it might be half decent or have a few good laughs in it but it was the biggest pile of shit I've seen for ages.
Really amazed he made this and thought it would be any good - soppy, preachy unfunny rubbish with a completely idiotic premise that doesn't work at all - in world where people are incapable of lying, not only do not they not lie they also say everything they are thinking at all times. What crap.
Steer clear, a complete Turkey.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That's what happens when you make two good television series and everyone believes you are suddenly some kind of "comedy genius"....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I enjoyed it (until he decided to turn it into a commentary on religion), but I like jennifer garner so was probably a bit generous.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Not that bad, not a classic but Ive seen a lot worse.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Ok looks like I'm in the minority here then!! :tantrum:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Not great but a few genuine laughs. Like the OP, I don't know why everyone always has to say exactly what they're thinking.

Much, much better than his episode of the Simpsons/HD TV advert - worst. episode. ever.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I liked the film for about 45 mins, then the idea ran out of steam a bit for me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I am yet another person who was a huge fan of The Office and Extras, all the podcasts, etc.

This film really just didn't work. 1 idea played out very unconvincingly for an hour and a half. You couldn't build any empathy with any characters either.

Cemetery Junction is miles better.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I didn't think it was that bad, I've seen far worse. I watched it on a plane and it had the desired effect of killing a couple of hours whilst being easy to watch.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I really enjoyed it. Its a clever film with its athiest message.

Blimey, is this film really considered to be clever?

I thought it was absolutely appalling. Very few laughs, a poor plot and a concept completely full of holes (as others have mentioned, not lying doesn't mean you just say what's on your mind all the time).

Anyone seen Ghost Town? Another Gervais starring film, also pretty rubbish, though nowhere near the level of crapness that The Invention of Lying reaches!

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I agree with Jonno here. In fact this is the ONLY film I have ever walked out on before the end at the cinema.

I liked The Office, Extra and Ghost Town but this is a flawed film with a concept that just doesn't work. As you say, not to lie doesn't mean uttering every thought to everyone.

Mrs Oscar and I got to the moment in the hospital waiting room when Gervais and Garner wake from their stress induced slumber, look at each other all misty eyed and then say "Hi" to each other. That was the ONLY time we laughed but it wasn't supposed to be funny. We left after that.

J2 BHA

NSC Patron
Jul 28, 2004
I liked it... looking at the posts on here it's kinda funny how people can give it such vastly differing reviews. One of the reasons why i take no notice of the reviews of music/films in the media!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This film is so shit I changed my TV after watching it. A failed concept that doesn't even come close to working on any level whatsoever, everyone involved in its production should be utterly ashamed and embarrassed. By the end, I felt dirty and humiliated that part of my Sky Movies subscription had actually gone towards bringing that putrid stinking mess of a film into my living room.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This film is so shit I changed my TV after watching it. A failed concept that doesn't even come close to working on any level whatsoever, everyone involved in its production should be utterly ashamed and embarrassed. By the end, I felt dirty and humiliated that part of my Sky Movies subscription had actually gone towards bringing that putrid stinking mess of a film into my living room.

So....you'd give it a 6.5?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here