Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Invalid network' - tedious internet problem, little help guys ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Aggravating,

My internet is down at home. I use a wireless router, and the laptop is picking up an excellent signal from it (all the bars are present), but it will not connect to the internet. I have a little yellow triangle over the reception icon in the toolbar at the bottom-right of the screen, which when I click on just says "invalid network". I've tried connecting the modem directly to the laptop, same result. I know its not the laptop, because I have the same problem with my mobile phone and iPod Touch - they're picking up the wireless signal loud and clear from the router, but cannot download anything.

Had a soul-destroying broken-english 'conversation' with someone from Mumbai which failed to resolve it. He did say that from his end I had a full signal going into the modem, there was no problem with it according to him, he said to turn it all off and try again in half an hour - predictably this didn't work, but I didn't have the energy to call back last night.

One thing I DID notice though - I seem to have 2 totally different IP addresses, one when I used the router, and one when I plugged the modem directly into the laptop. Thats not right is it ? I've got one which begins 192, which looks very familiar, and another beginning something else, which I don't recognise.

I'm not sat in front of it as I'm at work now so theres nothing I can try out right now, but I' be grateful if anyone knows what the problem might be.

Sorry for the BORINGNESS by the way :down:

Reliable Source

Dec 13, 2004
Aggravating,

My internet is down at home. I use a wireless router, and the laptop is picking up an excellent signal from it (all the bars are present), but it will not connect to the internet. I have a little yellow triangle over the reception icon in the toolbar at the bottom-right of the screen, which when I click on just says "invalid network". I've tried connecting the modem directly to the laptop, same result. I know its not the laptop, because I have the same problem with my mobile phone and iPod Touch - they're picking up the wireless signal loud and clear from the router, but cannot download anything.

Had a soul-destroying broken-english 'conversation' with someone from Mumbai which failed to resolve it. He did say that from his end I had a full signal going into the modem, there was no problem with it according to him, he said to turn it all off and try again in half an hour - predictably this didn't work, but I didn't have the energy to call back last night.

One thing I DID notice though - I seem to have 2 totally different IP addresses, one when I used the router, and one when I plugged the modem directly into the laptop. Thats not right is it ? I've got one which begins 192, which looks very familiar, and another beginning something else, which I don't recognise.

I'm not sat in front of it as I'm at work now so theres nothing I can try out right now, but I' be grateful if anyone knows what the problem might be.

The 192 IP is the router address, the other one is your ISP - so that is right that it shows when you connect directly.

I would suggest changing the "channel" that your router transmits on, especially if there are a lot of networks in your area.

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
If the problem is that there are too many wireless networks in your location using the same channel you can solve this using some free software from

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Install and run it see what other networks there are and what channel they are on . You can then change yours to the channel with the least occupants.

This worked for me when I had this problem, but the problem could of course be one of may reasons such as other wireless devices in the house, TV signal extenders, new land phones with wireless slaves etc ......try and think what is new/changed recently......

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cheers chaps.
I'm not sure the wireless router aspect is the problem though - as I say, I've plugged the ethernet cable directly from the modem into the laptop, and I get the same problem (except in the toolbar I get a little yellow triangle over a cable icon instead of a wireless icon). Its "getting" the signal from the modem alright, its just not recognising my ISP.

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
, I've plugged the ethernet cable directly from the modem into the laptop, and I get the same problem

Doh missed that bit , although still recommend doing it. Are you using broadband filters? check connections or try replacing them. Other than that I am out of ideas..good luck!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Aggravating,

You could always call your ISP, that would resolve the configuration of your Router. It can be annoying though as they often insist you must use the router they supplied, I replaced a BT supplied one (which was crap) with a Buffalo which totally out performs the Netgears and Belkins I have used in the past let alone the crap BT one. Does sound like you may have a problem with DNS.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Does sound like a router issue. If you're getting an ip address you should be past any security on the router, but usually when you get that yellow triangle you're not even really connected to the network, it's saying I can see it but it's not letting me connect, usually some sort of security stopping it. Don't think it's DNS, we're not that far into the process yet.

Mabye just try the simple tests. run an ipconfig /renew and see if it really is dishing out an address, then see if you can ping the router/gateway address and any other address' you have for your ISP. From the sounds of it you shouldn't be able to ping anything.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Does sound like a router issue. If you're getting an ip address you should be past any security on the router, but usually when you get that yellow triangle you're not even really connected to the network, it's saying I can see it but it's not letting me connect, usually some sort of security stopping it. Don't think it's DNS, we're not that far into the process yet.

Mabye just try the simple tests. run an ipconfig /renew and see if it really is dishing out an address, then see if you can ping the router/gateway address and any other address' you have for your ISP. From the sounds of it you shouldn't be able to ping anything.

Usually DNS, if you can get into the router set all the IP settings to auto/default/get from ISP.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How can it be the router though when I get the same thing without even using it ?

Like I say, I've connected the cable directly into the laptop (router unplugged completely) and I still just get "invalid network"

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
How can it be the router though when I get the same thing without even using it ?

Like I say, I've connected the cable directly into the laptop (router unplugged completely) and I still just get "invalid network"

Not sure what cable you mean. Are you plugging a network cable from router to laptop? or is it the one that comes from the phone socket?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure what cable you mean. Are you plugging a network cable from router to laptop? or is it the one that comes from the phone socket?

The one from the phone socket goes into my modem, then the one from my modem which (usually) goes into my router I've plugged direct into my laptop. But the problem remains the same.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
OK think I get it. So your modem doesn't have wireless and you're using an extra router to provide wireless. Either something on the modem or your PC is stopping you connecting then. As you're getting the same issues on multiple devices it's probably the modem.

Plug directly into the modem and do the simple tests - reset it, make sure it's giving you an IP address and see if you can ping the modem from you PC. I don't think you'll be able to, if you can't phone the bloke in India and tell him that.

If you can ping the Modem then try pinging something on t'internet, preferably your ISP.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thank you Nottseagull :lolol:

Cheers Billy, I will try that when I get home tonight. What a great evening I have in store.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Which is why we have gofast as our IP. The customer services is based in Ireland and resolving something over the phone is 10x easier than an Indian with a broken accent who follows a script.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
In the same vein as your OP, tedious I know but have you reset, ie turn off /on from the modem then router then try connecting laptop

:)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yup, I have switched everything off and on again.

I've also switched the modem on, THEN the router, then the laptop. Still 'invalid network'. :shootself:

All was hunky-dory a couple of days ago, and I've not altered anything. WHY DO THESE THINGS JUST HAPPEN ? Honestly, if it was just a case of the router being knackered then fine, I'll buy a new one. This crap drives me sparko when it just stops working for NO apparent reason.

Gaaaah

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here