Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Internet and Holidays

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I have recently been on trip advisor and consistently notice complaints about lack of free internet access etc.

Is it just me but why can't some people go with out internet for a week or two. I'm quite happy to be oblivious to what everyone is doing for two weeks a year it's a time to relax and get away.

Or is it just a case of the technology is there so you might as well use it?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I have recently been on trip advisor and consistently notice complaints about lack of free internet access etc.

Is it just me but why can't some people go with out internet for a week or two. I'm quite happy to be oblivious to what everyone is doing for two weeks a year it's a time to relax and get away.

It is the same with mobile phones - I get people complaining all the time here that the office keep ringing them whilst they are supposed to be on holiday. Phones do have off switches and there used to be such a thing as handing over responsibilities to deputies whilst away.

Perhaps people do not do this anymore as they are fearful for their jobs? Or maybe it is because they think that answering calls on holiday makes them look important?

What did we all do before mobile phones and the internet came along?! The world must have stopped still when we went on holiday!

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
It confuses me as well. Some peoples idea of a holiday is to sit by the pool on a laptop all day.

I guess some may want it to check in on work. But unless you own the company it's much better to say your not contactable.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

The world's changed hasn't it - People want or even need to be connected 24 x 7. Managing your life has become an online activity so if you can carry on managing things like your banking etc when you're away, then some people will just want to do it. Likewise, if you want to be up to date with the latest footy news every hour when you're at home, why change that when you're on holiday?

Personally, I have to be connected - Maybe it's an addiction, but there you go....

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Agreed, I left my Blackberry at home when on a footie tour to Dieppe the weekend before last. Much easier to relax and forget about all the nonsense including NSC, FB, Twitter etc as well as work. Many of the guys I went with were obsessing about signal, charging up etc and then got stung for roaming charges.

PG

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Did anyone see that documentary that was on a while back about Trip Advisor nutcases, going round looking for the slightest excuse to completely pan a hotel, and writing up their reviews like they were Pulitzer Prize winners?

Absolute sad lonely headcases.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
Did anyone see that documentary that was on a while back about Trip Advisor nutcases, going round looking for the slightest excuse to completely pan a hotel, and writing up their reviews like they were Pulitzer Prize winners?

yeah i saw this i now look at all reviews with this in mind

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There are some good uses though, for example when we were in Sri Lanka in April there was an earthquake in Indonesia which activated a tsunami alert, thankful it was the "wrong type of earthquake" but using the hotels wifi and my phone I could quickly let people at home know we were ok and safe.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
For me I find it a lot easier to plan my holiday and daily activities with the internet. With my iPad I can check out local attractions, costs etc. It's a lot easier to be connected to the internet then have to try speak to foreign people to get the best deals and prices when away.

It's how life is now. People want information and they want it immediately. They don't want to have to get up and ask someone about a possible day trip or directions, they want to be able to find all this instantly.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
For me it's an e-mail check and response early a.m. before the kids wake and the same around now when they have a siesta ... that way I can have two weeks away with the wife and kids and still keep contact with the variety of people I need to. Fact of life I'm afraid if it were pre-technology I probably wouldn't be able to get away at this stage of my life / businesses.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I was in Thailand recently and was surprised (and then surprised to have been surprised) at the number of travellers with laptops etc. It wasn't like that in my day, and I'm still a YOUNG MAN. I know at the time I was desperate to get the hell out of Dodge and would go weeks/months without contact with peeps at home.

Far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts / Nostalgia ain't what it used to be etc etc.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield

I watched that very sad indeed, why slate a perfectly decent hotel because "no free wi fi in the rooms" I worry about what people do on holiday i really do.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
For me I find it a lot easier to plan my holiday and daily activities with the internet. With my iPad I can check out local attractions, costs etc. It's a lot easier to be connected to the internet then have to try speak to foreign people to get the best deals and prices when away.

It's how life is now. People want information and they want it immediately. They don't want to have to get up and ask someone about a possible day trip or directions, they want to be able to find all this instantly.

Don't you think that makes people very detached and unsociable, I quite like the embarrasing lets try and speak whatever language converstaion with locals, for me it's part of the experience. Maybe i'm just strange.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .

God forbid ! Travelling to a foreign culture and attempting to converse in the native language - how frightful
And having to engage with a local on the matter of which direction to take - well , that's not what travelling's all about is it ??

Come to think about it ,there's no real point in you ever leaving you're comfort zone and getting out & about is there .

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
No Internet for 2 weeks?
What do you expect me to do? Buy jazz mags?
Madness.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
People will moan about anything just to have a good whine, says more about the people making reviews on Trip Advisor than anything else. They'll downvote something if a waiter looked at them funny.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
It confuses me as well. Some peoples idea of a holiday is to sit by the pool on a laptop all day.

I guess some may want it to check in on work. But unless you own the company it's much better to say your not contactable.

I couldn't believe it a few years ago. The pool at our resort in Antigua had a small Wi-Fi hotspot in one corner. The sight of folk cramped into a small area trying to use laptops & other gaming gadgets was a bizarre sight.

As for being interested in work info whilst on Holiday? Not a chance!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'm on holiday for the two weeks before the league starts, and I need to be able to check if we've signed anyone

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I'm on holiday for the two weeks before the league starts, and I need to be able to check if we've signed anyone

Would you life be worse for not knowing till you came back? It wouldn't change anything? Personal preferences and all that but i know i could live with not knowing.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here