Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

International Philosophy Football

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
think the germans can feel hard done by there

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Same old Germans - always cheating. Wittgenstein and Marx were both Austrian and technically could have played for England by virtue of residency.

Surely, the logical choice would have been Gottlieb Frege up front (logic - get it?). Then again, what would he made of the team of players not in teams? Bertrand Russell danced rings around him with this in a memorable clash, as I recall.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Same old Germans - always cheating. Wittgenstein and Marx were both Austrian and technically could have played for England by virtue of residency.

Surely, the logical choice would have been Gottlieb Frege up front (logic - get it?). Then again, what would he made of the team of players not in teams? Bertrand Russell danced rings around him with this in a memorable clash, as I recall.

Not quite true. Marx was a German - he was born in Trier...but he could have played for England.

And it's not quite true to say that Russell rang rings round him. It's true that Russell's Paradox punched a hole in his theorems but his work on numbers was ground-breaking and Russell himself acknowledged his massive contribution to logic and arithmetic.

(full marks for knowing Frege though, I bet this is the only NSC thread where he's got a mention. I did my thesis on him - a much neglected philosopher)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here