BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
....to rise 0.25% :( :nono:

UK News
Homeowners will feel the bite Shock Rate Decision
Updated: 13:01, Thursday August 03, 2006

Homeowners have been dealt a blow after the Bank of England surprised everyone with a decision to raise the interest rate.

It is the first time in a year that the rate - which has risen to 4.75% - has moved.

The decision is likely to cost homeowners with an average £80,000 mortgage just over £12 a month.

The rate has gone up by 0.25% from its present 4.5% level because of fears of a rise in inflation which this month reached 2.5%.
The Bank's Monetary Policy Committee has a remit to ensure that, over a two-year period, inflation is kept at 2%.

In a statement, the Bank said the pace of economic activity had quickened in recent months.

"Household spending appears to have recovered from its post-Christmas dip. Business investment growth and investment intentions have also picked up," it said.

The statement added that a hike was necessary to bring inflation back to target in the medium term.

Soaring gas and electricity bills in June drove inflation to its highest rate since Labour came to power in 1997.

In addition, recent figures indicated that the UK economy grew by more than expected between April and June.

The preliminary estimate of GDP showed a figure of 0.8% for the second quarter, slightly higher than most City expectations and stronger than the 0.7% rise seen in the previous two quarters.

However, other indicators, including the latest services sector survey, had indicated that growth may be slowing.

Last edited:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
fixed rate at 3.91%

LAUGHING !!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Average mortgage is just £80,000? Blimey.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
cardboard said:
How long ago did you get that????

Must have been years

twas about 3 years ago if I remember correctly..

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Unless you've got an absolutely MASSIVE mortage, I'd say the rise in gas prices is going to affect you noticably more.....

ITS A RIP OFF INNIT

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The 0.25% in the interest rate is actually a 5.55% increase in the cost of a variable rate mortgage.

In my case that will be way more than the cost of the recent increases in gas and electricity.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Unless you've got an absolutely MASSIVE mortage, I'd say the rise in gas prices is going to affect you noticably more.....

And vegetables.

Seriously.

According to The Independent today, crops across Europe are totally buggered this year because of the excessive heat and drought. Expect the prices of potatoes, peas, lettuces etc to rocket in the next few weeks.

[First person to make a quip about 'I thought rocket already was a lettuce' wins a year's supply of butternut squash.]

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
bhafc99 said:
[First person to make a quip about 'I thought rocket already was a lettuce' wins a year's supply of butternut squash.]

Bollocks. There goes my hilarious "expect the price of rocket to lettuce" chat up line...

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I sometimes think Id be better off on the dole. Id definately get more disposable income

Council tax paid, rent paid, free dental care, school meals for the kids,loads of free time, get a bar job off the cards.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Stinky Kat said:
I sometimes think Id be better off on the dole. Id definately get more disposable income

Council tax paid, rent paid, free dental care, school meals for the kids,loads of free time, get a bar job off the cards.

That's the attitude that makes Britain great.

Last edited:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
That's the attitude that makes Britain great.

Britain isnt Great its shit. Tax the workers and give all the money to the rich

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Shag. That's 36 quid a month of mine going to make the bankers richer.

Thankfully, the forecast was for interest rates to fall by the end of the year due to the slowing of the US economy, so maybe this is only a temporary set back.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
bhafc99 said:
And vegetables.

Expect the prices of potatoes, peas, lettuces etc to rocket in the next few weeks.

Aha! I've got it...

Ahem... :clears throat: "So it looks like we can expect the price of sprouts to mushroom then"...

No? Oh well, never mind... :down:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Trufflehound said:
Aha! I've got it...

Ahem... :clears throat: "So it looks like we can expect the price of sprouts to mushroom then"...

No? Oh well, never mind... :down:

Your joke seems to have wilted a bit, in fact its downright rotten!!

:dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here