Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Injury DISASTER for England

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7031250.stm

Defender Wes Brown is out of England's Euro 2008 qualifier against Estonia because of a knee injury.

Brown returned to Manchester United for further treatment on Tuesday after he was unable to take part in training.

Sol Campbell also sat out the session with an Achilles' problem, while Alan Smith was rested as a precaution.

Strikers Dean Ashton and Andrew Johnson are out of the squad for Saturday's tie at Wembley and the match in Moscow against Russia on 17 October.

Interview: England boss Steve McClaren

West Ham forward Ashton picked up a medial knee ligament injury in the Hammers' weekend defeat by Aston Villa.

The London club have since confirmed that he will be out of action for six weeks.

Johnson misses out because of an ankle injury, but Michael Owen confirmed his fitness, scoring in Newcastle's win against Everton.

McClaren was at St James' Park on Sunday to watch Owen but he will be concerned about losing two more strikers.

606: DEBATE
Will injuries undermine England's chances of reaching Euro 2008?

John Terry trained wearing the facial mask protecting his fractured cheekbone.

McClaren had been considering resting his skipper against the Estonians.

The Chelsea defender was booked against Israel and another yellow card would put him out of the clash with Russia.

"Leaving Terry out would be a massive call," conceded McClaren.

"We must look at the bigger picture. We have a few players on bookings and we have to take that into account."

He will be desperate to lead England out against struggling Estonia but, together with Rio Ferdinand and Ashley Cole, he is one caution away from a suspension.

"It is a consideration," confirmed McClaren. "I have to ask myself do I want to risk losing someone?

"It means picking a team for Estonia is not an entirely straightforward issue, there are other factors involved as well.

"Clearly though, our priority is to win and avoid dropping points at home as we did against Macedonia. If we do that, what happens in Russia is irrelevant."

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That is a highly creative use of the word "disaster".

Its a disaster along the lines of Fat Frank, Shrek and the Show Pony all being unavailable last time round.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
estonia for christ sake,we should bea t these with whatever team goes on pitch!!!!!!!!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
And Andy Johnson is out as well, we are f***ed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Halleluja - Wes brown is not good enough for England

Or Manchester Utd

Or The Premiership

Or The Championship

Or Div 1

Or Div 2

Or The Scottish Prem

Or Scottish League 1

Or Scottish League 2

Or Scottish League 3

Or Blue (whatever) Prem

I could go on

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Jesus, that thread titled scared me! I thought you were going to say that PHIL NEVILLE was out or something. :eek:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i was worried that someone like wes brown or phil neville was being touted to play, that would be a disaster

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
What other Man U, ex Man U or Middlesbrough bum boys that aren't good enough can McClaren call up?

Danny Higginbottom perhaps?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I can hardly wait now, I have a ticket for the game, but it sounds like the PV - Albion game would probably be a better show of passion, talent and skill. Will I actually recognise any of the Ingerland players?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes Phil, you'll recognise the [sadly] unchanged keeper, Paul Robinson.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Or Manchester Utd

Or The Premiership

Or The Championship

Or Div 1

Or Div 2

Or The Scottish Prem

Or Scottish League 1

Or Scottish League 2

Or Scottish League 3

Or Blue (whatever) Prem

I could go on

Please don't.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
that last comment, is that really what mclaren said? "what happens in russia is irrelevent". this man really is a clown, how can a match of such importance be so irrelevent?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here