Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Injury and transfer updates from Gus

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
LuaLua in fitness race but Albion injuries are clearing up From The Argus)

Kazenga LuaLua faces a race against time to be fit for Albion’s possible FA Cup showdown against his old club Newcastle.

But the Seagulls’ crippling injury list is showing signs of clearing up.

Boss Gus Poyet could have several of the casualties available for next week’s replay at Wrexham or even sooner for Bristol City’s visit on Saturday.

LuaLua limped out of last Saturday’s 1-1 draw against Wrexham at The Amex with a hamstring injury after setting up Jake Forster-Caskey’s goal.

Poyet revealed: “It’s a small hamstring pull, not serious, the kind of injury that could be two to three weeks.”

Albion entertain Newcastle in the fourth round at the end of the month if they get past Wrexham.

Poyet said: “It will be easy to tell with Kazenga if he is fit or not, because he needs to run, to sprint and shoot. It could be close. I imagine he will probably try to push it, which is a problem, so we will try to keep him safe.”

The Wrexham replay takes place next Tuesday (8pm) and will be screened on ITV 4, subject to final confirmation, which would mean a £62,000 bonus for Albion.

Poyet said: “The good news for us is there could be a few players back before then. We are talking about Vicente, Hoskins, Painter, Adam El-Abd, Tano.

“Most of them are going to be fit for Saturday. The problem is whether or not they can play 90 minutes. I cannot take a risk to start a game with players who are going to last for an hour.”

Meanwhile, Poyet has reiterated Albion will not be in the market for another big money signing during January.

The Seagulls have been linked with a move for Hull striker Aaron Mclean, Craig Mackail-Smith’s former partner at Peterborough, who was signed by the Tigers for £1.3 million a year ago.

Poyet said: “First of all he is under contract and they paid a lot of money for him. I am not going to say I don’t like him, I do, but we cannot pay that money.

“If somebody said to me he was free I would get him. If the chairman gave me £1.5 million then he would become one of the options straight away.

“But we are not looking to buy, we don’t have the money. I like plenty of strikers in the division, Becchio, Beckford, Sharp, Maynard, but we cannot compete with that. I spent all my money back in the summer. Now it is a matter of trying to be realistic.”

More realistic targets for Albion include the likes of Wolves pair Sam Vokes and Andy Keogh. Vokes ends a loan spell at Burnley this week and Keogh is back at Molineux after a loan stint at Leeds.

Poyet added: “There are plenty of names. The list is massive. At the moment there are a couple of possibilities but that doesn’t mean they are strong possibilities yet, so we’ll see.”

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Is Gary Dicker back in training yet ?

He was hoping to be back at the beginning of this month. Really looking forward to having him back in the team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Poyet said: “First of all he is under contract and they paid a lot of money for him. I am not going to say I don’t like him, I do, but we cannot pay that money.

“If somebody said to me he was free I would get him. If the chairman gave me £1.5 million then he would become one of the options straight away.

Love it.
He's under contract so I won't touch him, we'll not be going behind backs and doing deals...

BUT...

I'll tell you now exactly how much money I'll spend on you, should you want to come!

D

Deleted member 22389

Best news I have heard in ages. 5 players probably fit to play. Most importantly Vincente, Hoskins are coming back. And Lua Lua not as bad as first suspected.
We have more than enough quality.

DanSeagull

Jun 10, 2009
Not going to hold my breath with Vicente. How many times have we heard that he is pushing to be fit and then been dissapointed when he is not named in the squad?

Good to hear others are back in contention though :thumbsup:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Dicker tweeted a couple of days ago and said he'd be back running in a couple of weeks.
Regarding the transfer kitty, I have my suspicions there is a couple of quid available, Gus and Tony are just keeping their cards close to their chests ;)

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Please let Vicente be fit for the rest of the season. I want him an Bridcutt in midfield from now till may. Comfy mid table finish if there are no more injuries or stupid red/yellow cards.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

He was hoping to be back at the beginning of this month. Really looking forward to having him back in the team.

Apparantly its been 10 weeks since his op but will be a few weeks before he's even running again

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Regarding the transfer kitty, I have my suspicions there is a couple of quid available, Gus and Tony are just keeping their cards close to their chests ;)

Same here. Gus sounds like he's referring to everything as it stands - who knows how that may change if Bloom and the board decide to revise the playing budget and/or if there is a departure or two later this month (if any funds from sales are made available for Gus, of course)

Even if we are limited to the loan market in this window, what's to say Gus may not try another KLL/Barnes/Painter-style loan-to-buy deal?

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011

Is that Dicker that the pacey and powerful midfields of CP and others outclassed?

Great last 2 years, but not up to Champ level. Passing good, but now not given time & no support when we lose the ball as slow.

With the bonus of the mega crowds, and League Cup run, I'm sure TB could afford for us to buy the PROVEN goal poacher we require. Shame if no action.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Is that Dicker that the pacey and powerful midfields of CP and others outclassed?

Great last 2 years, but not up to Champ level. Passing good, but now not given time & no support when we lose the ball as slow.

With the bonus of the mega crowds, and League Cup run, I'm sure TB could afford for us to buy the PROVEN goal poacher we require. Shame if no action.

lol that night thy outclassed the whole of our midfield even bridcutt!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here