Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indy 500 Crash and a half

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
British driver Mike Conway crash on the last lap. Ended up with "just" a broken leg.

[yt]r4CCWoF-DCU[/yt]

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Bloody spectacular that!! :ohmy: (and finally my 1,000th Post too!)

Some great action photo's here!!

Last edited:

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
i watched that yesterday, great for spectators, not so for the driver

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
i watched that yesterday, great for spectators, not so for the driver

WHAT?? None of us want to see that! What a bizarre thing to say, 10-20 years ago he would have been dead.

Week in week out we have out cars checked by scrutineers for safety. We love doing what we do, and we know the risks - but we don't drive so you can see that kind of thing....

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
That's what happens, when:

a. you blatantly drive too fast
b. you undertake other cars
c. you don't check your mirrors
d. you have no consideration towards other road users
e. you drive without due care and attention

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
That's what happens, when:

a. you blatantly drive too fast
b. you undertake other cars
c. you don't check your mirrors
d. you have no consideration towards other road users
e. you drive without due care and attention

Pretty typical of quite a number of M25 drivers from my experience!

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
WHAT?? None of us want to see that! What a bizarre thing to say, 10-20 years ago he would have been dead.

Week in week out we have out cars checked by scrutineers for safety. We love doing what we do, and we know the risks - but we don't drive so you can see that kind of thing....

Not bizarre, alot of people who go to watch racing do so for the crashes, yes 10/20 years ago he would have died but technolgoly and safety have moved on

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
shocking accident, glad he got out alive

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Not bizarre, alot of people who go to watch racing do so for the crashes, yes 10/20 years ago he would have died but technolgoly and safety have moved on

There was a monster accident at Brand Hatch today, what a dreadful thing to think that some people in the crowd were there just to see it and gain some sort of enjoyment from a mechanical failure that has probably destroyed someones ability to walk and left him in hospital for quite sometime. We won't ever see that car again either, a very expensive, famous and historical formula 1 car.

Ridiculous.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I thought the Indy 500 was somewhat spoilt by a continuous stream of safety cars, there was very little actual racing. whether thats poor tyres or over driving I don't know, given the amount of incidents its lucky there was only one big accident.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I watched the documentary on the 1955 Le Mans crash which killed 87+ spectators last week. The actual incident where a faster car effectively drives up the back of a slower one and uses it as a launching ramp for take-off was almost identical. The results were far more tragic though - no safety fence for the car to bounce off.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It was a fairly well executed double rotating back flip but I don't think he quite nailed the landing which will surely mark him down with the judges.

5.1 from me

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I watched the documentary on the 1955 Le Mans crash which killed 87+ spectators last week. The actual incident where a faster car effectively drives up the back of a slower one and uses it as a launching ramp for take-off was almost identical. The results were far more tragic though - no safety fence for the car to bounce off.

f***ing hell, 87+ killed by one crash, that is crazy. Amazing how times have changed and thank hell they have.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As an aside, on the radio there was a discussion about ESP etc, which involved this story, (that I frequently tell on here!):-

Fangio was driving his Ferrari in Italy towards a GP World Championship.
When on the other side of the hairpin Fangio was approaching, was a massive crash then pile up.
Everyone smashed into it, except Fangio who eased off and tiptoed round, not knowing what was there.
Naturally all of Italy went mental saying, it was God's doing, that was the only reason for Fangio slowing before the bend.

Fangio wasn't happy about that but couldn't work it out either.
Not till a month or so later as he kept reliving and dreaming about the accident, he finally woke with the answer.

Fangio, driving a Ferrari, in Italy, and nobody in the massive bank on the bend apex was watching him, they were all looking round the other side of the bend.
Fangio's sub-concious told him something was wrong and he acted accordingly, without never really knowing 'himself' what was going on.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here