Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In hindsight

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Watching the first ten minutes of the Man City, Notts County game. Does everyone agree that Stoke away was the worst possible draw we could have got. The way they play the game and they are possibly the best in the country at what they do. Prem clubs hate going there and very rarely get anything.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I said that from the very outset when the draw was made.

So did I. But as the game drew closer you get a bit carried away with what might happen. We would have been better off playing a City or a Chelsea. And not just from a finacial point of view. I think we would have given them a better game.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not hindsight, mate. Thought that when the draw was made. And the fact that Stoke treated both the FA Cup and us with full respect and came at us as if we were Arsenal or Chelsea didn't help; not surprising they somewhat overwhelmed us.
I fancy we'd have been looking pretty cool at half time against either of the Manchester teams on this weekend's performances from them.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Our weak spot = defending set pieces

Their strong point = well drilled set pieces

Our keeper = not played consistantly for ages and that didn't help for first 2 goals

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
we were shit from the start, did'nt play anything like we normally do.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Think those that expressed an opinion of this not being a great tie were shot down in pieces by a few others. However, I did say to my mate yesterday whilst watching the game that we would have been much better off playing a football team and not a hoof team. I think we'd give a good passing side a much tighter game, we are obviously not set up for playing these hoof and muscle prem sides, but best get used to it because next season (hopefully in the championship) we'll be playing faster, stronger sides than experienced this term.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I think that that was the general feeling after the draw was made that Stoke away was possibly the worst draw we could have got, not just the fact that it's a shithole but their style of play is hard for Premier League teams to play against let alone a League One side.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
This is something that Sam Allardyce referred to on The ITV FA cup highlights show. Gus Poyet said that we tried to play our normal game. Allardyce said that was crazy. Everyone changes their game when they go to Stoke because you are not allowed to play your own game. I dont think we were set up in any way to deal with stokes game and maybe that was the idea.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Steve Claridge said that the way we play can work at League One - but the higher up we go the better the teams are at closing down (as they are stronger, fitter, and more knowing) so it will be interesting to see whether we can still play the one way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here