Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm the new Argus proof reader...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
..apparently.

The Andy Naylor story on the Argus site, titled 'Slade knew Hart would come good' or somesuch.

The paragraph towards the end, mentioned Huddersfield's 'slim play-off chances' and that we were looking for our 'third straight away win'.
I posted a comment underneath it, clarifying that Huddersfield making the play-offs is mathematically impossible, and that I made Hereford, Colchester and Bristol, three already.

Ten minutes later, I looked at it again. The story is now credited to Bruce Talbot, both the erroneous points have been edited, and my comment removed!

Smooth work, newshounds. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
..aparently.

The Andy Naylor story on the Argus site, titled 'Slade knew Hart would come good' or somesuch.

The paragraph towards the end, mentioned Huddersfield's 'slim play-off chances' and that we were looking for our 'third straight away win'.
I posted a comment underneath it, clarifying that Huddersfield making the play-offs is mathematically impossible, and that I made Hereford, Colchester and Bristol, three already.

Ten minutes later, I looked at it again. The story is now credited to Bruce Talbot, both the erroneous points have been editted, and my comment removed!

Smooth work, newshounds. :thumbsup:

Good job!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Cheltenham can finish on 47 points, so if northampton, carlisle and crewe (all on 46 points) lose their remaining games, Cheltenham could escape.

If crewe, carlisle and/or northampton get a draw they will have 47 points.

So it comes down to goal difference.

Cheltenham would need to score
17 to go above Carlisle
21 to go above crewe
and a whopping 35 to go above northampton.

EDIT: I didn't realise they were playing carlisle, so their scoring becomes tricky. They need to make up 17 goals between them and carlisle, so if they win their other two 1-0. they need to beat carlisle 8-0. Much easier than the 17 they'd need other wise...

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good job!

Similarly, you don't need a comma after 'end' in the second paragraph.

The difference being, my efforts are tapped out in a couple of spare moments, in between my work, and are only intended to be read by NSC's assorted weirdos, simpletons and pedants.

As opposed to actually being my job, as in the case of the wonderful Argus man.

Oh, and for the purposes of completition, Mr TLO is correct about the comma after 'end'. :thumbsup: But then, he always is...

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
I've been proof-reading the on-line Argus for weeks. They are an absolute joke.

I only got a grade C at O level English Language & didn't go to university. I wanted to be a journalist when I was at school, but they told me not to bother as I would never get the A levels required.

A am now a book editor for a reference book that has been published for 195 years.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Cheltenham can finish on 47 points, so if northampton, carlisle and crewe (all on 46 points) lose their remaining games, Cheltenham could escape.

If crewe, carlisle and/or northampton get a draw they will have 47 points.

So it comes down to goal difference.

Cheltenham would need to score
17 to go above Carlisle
21 to go above crewe
and a whopping 35 to go above northampton.

EDIT: I didn't realise they were playing carlisle, so their scoring becomes tricky. They need to make up 17 goals between them and carlisle, so if they win their other two 1-0. they need to beat carlisle 8-0. Much easier than the 17 they'd need other wise...

So they're down then :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here