Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm concerned

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
From what I recall, when the Albion came back to Brighton and Hove and took up temporary residence at Withdean the locals, quite naturally, expressed some concern.

They were involved in discussions on some level, these resulted in the arrangements we currently have with park and ride buses, and so on.

This has led to fans being quite responsible, we don't cause trouble etc.

The same can't be said with Falmer.

The locals have fought the club all the way. A rivalry has grown between fans and residents in the Falmer area, with passionate feelings on both sides. Even when official decisions have been made they've been challenged and appealed and even now the locals are still not happy.

The post match phone in on SCR still gets occasional calls from people questioning if it will really work, I remember a caller over christmas asking if our form continued to nose dive leading to a further fall in attendance, could we still afford Falmer. A legitimate question that got lost in the ensuing shouting down from Harty pretty much telling the guy to get over it and move on (in fairness, the guy didn't press the question instead spouting more anti-stadium views).

But when the stadium is built these rivals will be our neighbours.

I love the albion, but I wouldn't want the stadium on my doorstep. Sure it would be convenient, but apart from being tempted to watch the match from my garden or bedroom and miss out on the atmosphere of being in the stadium, I'd be concerned about several thousand people walking past my house, when they're drunk, when they're elated, when they're depressed, upset, angry, spoiling for a fight, or in any of a number of states that leads to otherwise sensible people thinking nothing of kicking a flower pot in frustration, breaking a wing mirror while imagining it's the head of the ref who gave a dodgy penalty, or getting being so happy about the win they're singing foul language songs at the top of their lungs wile my kids are watching "help! I''m a celebrity strictly come dancing on ice idol.. get me out of here and into big brother", the constant concern at big matches that the fans are going to have a big rumble in the street and so on.

I know the majority of fans don't behave that way, and yes, like I said before we behaved ourselves at Withdean. But we're guests at Withdean and have to play by the host's rules, Falmer will be our home, what right does anyone have to tell us how to behave?!

Which brings me on to my concern. At Withdean the residents appeared to take a step back and say 'ok, let's give this a try', and out of respect (and general human decency) we behaved, and it has all worked out.

Will that happen in Falmer? I see a lot of venom spouted at The Swan. I worry that fans are going to want to go rub it in the landlord's face, and then feel they should do the same to all the residents, because some of them opposed the stadium. Especially if they get particularly drunk in celebration at our homecoming, or if they get particularly upset over a run of losses that are obviously the fault of bad karma from the locals cursing us!

I hope I'm wrong, but the rivalry has built up over the years between stadium supporters and stadium opposers, and now we're neighbours and I worry there'll be quite a lot of trouble.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I don't think any of the fans will go anywhere near Falmer village on match days.

None of the car or coach parking, or the train station facilities are anywhere near the village. And only a very fans will come from near enough to the ground to actually walk through it.

I think you are worrying unneccessarily.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Can you see the Swan pub covered in graffiti?

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
dont be concerned

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
:thumbsup::angel:

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
i hope there is some fighting and falmer village gets burned down. But knowing Brighton fans i doubt there will be any trouble.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I wouldnt be suprised to see a ban on fans entering Falmer village without good excuse on match days if things get out of hand. In all fairness, I too wouldd be annoyed if a load of pissed up football fans came piling into a village causing trouble. It would not be good news at all, and will certainly rub salt into an already open wound.

Though saying that our fans are generally well behaved, and I'm sure the Swann Inn wont be the port of call for fans wishing to drink before the game. Its too small and snooty snotty. I suspect that most fans will stay in brighton, and get off at Falmer prior to kick off.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
If Falmer village gets burnt down, then the only person I'd help rebuild their house is Derek Chapman. The rest would have been knocked down anyway when we expand the stadium to a 250,000 capacity :falmer:

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
I'm sorry but I don't know what the club or the fans or anyone can do to create the perfect situation for you.

It does sound as though you are coming from a genuinely positive angle but this whole situation of finding a suitable site for the ground was always gonna be difficult. I mean, how many years has this taken, please don't remind me.. And that in itself is proof of how difficult the task was.

That said, there was never going to be a 'perfect' situation. Just like that old saying... "you can please people sometimes, but you cant please people all the time".. or something like that..

From an unbiased point of view, this is the best place for the stadium which will cause minimal disruption to the city.

I'm sure that from day 1, the fans will be buzzing so much that they will forget about the opposition that we were up against, and the enjoyment of the new stadium will create a positive buzz on matchdays, hopefully setting the expected standards for seasons to come.

Yes, there have been a lot of haters of the opposition on here but I'm sure that counts for only the minority of fans that will be going to the stadium and in reality, most probably wont do anything anyway. But of course, you will always have the dickhead minority which like to create a bit of aggro but they are present everywhere.

I think you just need to relax, wait for the ground to be completed, get yer season ticket, then enjoy !!!!!!

I know I will be... Its gonna be great..:bounce: :bounce:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Nobody will care any more. They will be too distraught at the latest 5-0 drubbing by the the giants that are Morecambe in the Blue Square whateveritiscalledbythen premiership

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm sorry but I don't know what the club or the fans or anyone can do to create the perfect situation for you.

It does sound as though you are coming from a genuinely positive angle but this whole situation of finding a suitable site for the ground was always gonna be difficult. I mean, how many years has this taken, please don't remind me.. And that in itself is proof of how difficult the task was.

That said, there was never going to be a 'perfect' situation. Just like that old saying... "you can please people sometimes, but you cant please people all the time".. or something like that..

From an unbiased point of view, this is the best place for the stadium which will cause minimal disruption to the city.

I'm sure that from day 1, the fans will be buzzing so much that they will forget about the opposition that we were up against, and the enjoyment of the new stadium will create a positive buzz on matchdays, hopefully setting the expected standards for seasons to come.

Yes, there have been a lot of haters of the opposition on here but I'm sure that counts for only the minority of fans that will be going to the stadium and in reality, most probably wont do anything anyway. But of course, you will always have the dickhead minority which like to create a bit of aggro but they are present everywhere.

I think you just need to relax, wait for the ground to be completed, get yer season ticket, then enjoy !!!!!!

I know I will be... Its gonna be great..:bounce: :bounce:

Was that directed at me? I'm not criticising the decision to give us falmer, I'm happy about that.

I'm just concerned that it will be ruined by a minority of 'fans' who see the Falmer locals as enemies, and try to "pay them back" for fighting the stadium all the way. The the story won't be "The Seagulls move into their new home, celebrate with a win" it will be "Locals' fears realised: Homecoming ruined by hooligan trouble in Falmer".

As a fan, I'd be embarrassed and ashamed that instead of celebrating a new home, these idiots focus on them fighting us, causing us to struggle for almost 10 years to come home. Seeing some of the negativity directed towards the Falmer residents (as exhibited by some on this thread) and in particular toward The Swan, I am growing more concerned. I hoped the anger would dissipate, but it's still there. We won, some fans need to realise and embrace this, and concentrate on proving the residents fears wrong, instead of trying to get them back.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nobody will care any more. They will be too distraught at the latest 5-0 drubbing by the the giants that are Morecambe in the Blue Square whateveritiscalledbythen premiership

Will they not care, or will they blame the falmer residents? If we'd've got falmer sooner, mickey would never have left, zamora would have stayed with us and together they would have taken us into the premiership, instead the protracted struggles brought us to our knees and now we're losing against morecambe in BSP, and instead of venting their frustration on here or the phone in they vent it on the falmer parish vicar's garden gnomes...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Everyone will go home and pretend to be cardboard warriors on NSC. That is all that will happen.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Was that directed at me? I'm not criticising the decision to give us falmer, I'm happy about that.

I'm just concerned that it will be ruined by a minority of 'fans' who see the Falmer locals as enemies, and try to "pay them back" for fighting the stadium all the way. The the story won't be "The Seagulls move into their new home, celebrate with a win" it will be "Locals' fears realised: Homecoming ruined by hooligan trouble in Falmer".

As a fan, I'd be embarrassed and ashamed that instead of celebrating a new home, these idiots focus on them fighting us, causing us to struggle for almost 10 years to come home. Seeing some of the negativity directed towards the Falmer residents (as exhibited by some on this thread) and in particular toward The Swan, I am growing more concerned. I hoped the anger would dissipate, but it's still there. We won, some fans need to realise and embrace this, and concentrate on proving the residents fears wrong, instead of trying to get them back.

Sounds to me like your the landlord of The Swan!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Mr Acker, I don't think your comparisons were quite right.

If there was ever any re-consideration of attitude on the Withdean residents' part, it's because they knew that ours was only ever supposed to be a temporary situation. Their tenacity against having us there was just as apparent and, if anything, better organised than the Falmer NIMBYs.

The Withdean residents never 'accepted' us, they just put up with us, even though we have proved to be good neighbours. Indeed, one tosser still wants to take the club to court over planning permissions which have since lapsed.

And what happened in the end? Nothing. By the time we get to Falmer Stadium, the rest of us won't give a shit about the villagers. We'll be focussed on our own stuff.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Mr Acker, I don't think your comparisons were quite right.

If there was ever any re-consideration of attitude on the Withdean residents' part, it's because they knew that ours was only ever supposed to be a temporary situation. Their tenacity against having us there was just as apparent and, if anything, better organised than the Falmer NIMBYs.

The Withdean residents never 'accepted' us, they just put up with us, even though we have proved to be good neighbours. Indeed, one tosser still wants to take the club to court over planning permissions which have since lapsed.

And what happened in the end? Nothing. By the time we get to Falmer Stadium, the rest of us won't give a shit about the villagers. We'll be focussed on our own stuff.

Maybe initially the residents were ok with it because it was just temporary, but don't you think they will have also softened on the fans due to our conduct? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just think there has been so little incident, that most of the locals will have noticed their nightmare scenarios never came to pass.

I hope you're right about people not caring by the time we get to falmer.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i cant imagine any fan after a game, instead of walking down to the station and back to town centre, bothering to walk the 3-400 yards in the wrong direction to hurl abuse at residnets to blame them for the delay. its quite fanciful really. there has never been violence involved upto now, why would anyone bother once we are neighbours?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here