Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'll name that chilli in....

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I usually grow some chillies each year from seed, but hadn't bothered this year, but walking round a garden centre earlier this year saw and bought a baby chilli plant in a pot .

Now the label said it was a jalapeno, always useful can't go wrong having a few of those around I thought, so why not.

Now as it grew it looked like a jalapeno plant, blossomed like a jalapeno, but now the fruits are definitely not jalapeno.

It could be one of a few but I know there a some very knowledgeable chilli people on here so thought I would ask your opinions as to which one it is.

rsz_p1020427.jpgrsz_p1020426.jpg

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
They look like the type you often get sitting whole on top of a curry as a sort of decoration. I know that doesn't really help in any way...

Do you grow them outside? As usually we find we have to grow them in the greenhouse/inside.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Looks like a cayenne of some sort, but very curly???

Not all are curly, poss about 50%, the others are dead straight, up to about 7 or 8 cm at the mo.

Looks like Birds eye chillis

I did think that was a possible.

Do you grow them outside? As usually we find we have to grow them in the greenhouse/inside.

Outside in one of those mini 4 tier plastic things, but the door/opening is permanently open.

I'll double check when I get home, but that looks like one of the chilli plants I've got.

Thank you, I look forward to a definite answer. The problem is, not knowing which it is, I'm not too sure when to pick them. There is loads on and more to come.

Yoda

English & European
Thank you, I look forward to a definite answer. The problem is, not knowing which it is, I'm not too sure when to pick them. There is loads on and more to come.

Right, just got around to having a look. The one I have that looks similar is called Bangalore Torpedo.

East Indian variety. Hot pods that grow in to 3 inch long twisted and hooked curly fruits.

Also have Purple Tiger, one I can't remember and the famous Naga Jolika.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
that my dear fellow is a Serrano chilli, native of mexico.

a little hotter than a jalapeno, tasty little morsel.. nice diced up raw and mixed in with some grated cheese in a sandwich....

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Is correct. They are exactly the same as the ones growing in my back garden.

In fact, that brick wall in the background looks familiar... It may well be my back garden.

I always suspected there might be someone living in my shed...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

a little hotter than a jalapeno, tasty little morsel.. nice diced up raw and mixed in with some grated cheese in a sandwich....

No it isn't. Serranos are more rounded and stubbier.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005

Right, just got around to having a look. The one I have that looks similar is called Bangalore Torpedo.

No it isn't. Serranos are more rounded and stubbier.

...I always suspected there might be someone living in my shed...

Well thanks to all that replied.

I'm glad we got that sorted. :lolol:

PS Truflehound, A piece of carpet would be nice.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here