Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you think our losses last season in this division were excessive at £8 million.......

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Haven't Palace said several times that their playing budget is bigger than Leeds ???

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
But Leeds have a massive stadium which they don't even come close to filling. In all seriousness, they're being really wasteful with Elland Road. Why have all the tiers open of that main stand opposite where the away fans sit? Why not just open the low tier, have it looking pretty full and then you don't have to staff the upper tier so you will be saving money, Shirley?

Or is it just me being simplistic? I'm sure their fans would rather sit up there and probably have for decades but financial sense suggests just close it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Wonder what the policing costs are nowadays. Last season WYP were getting away with charging extra for policing the local area not the vicinity around the stadium and lost the court case against LUFC on matchday billing.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
To be honest i don't buy the 8 million loss. Is there somewhere where we can see it itemised?
Fact is BHAFC is not on the stock exchange and therefore don't need to publish any accountancy figures and also dont need to announce any losses or profits. I wonder if a profit would have been mentioned in quite the same way? I think not.
It is all to do with getting us fans used to price rises and new costs. I know BHAFC has always announced profits and losses over the last few years with DK and MP in charge but this time we are talking big money. This is different. I can't help but think this is strategic, whether we make promotion or not, prices will rise in ST, merchandise and food and drink. Thats ok with some but not ok with others. The 8 million loss (made up or not) is actually pretty good in a football clubs first season at a new stadium, next year will have less costs and more revenue and so will those afterwards, if we stay on course for trying to make the EPL. However, at what point will these figures stop being announced? Can you imagine a day when BHAFC announces a £15 mil profit? Then all fans cry out for new players, because the club can afford it, rather than crying out for a reduction in prices because the club can afford it.
When MP was CEO, I always felt everything was transparent and for the fans. Now we have PB, i feel its all a little bit Willy Walsh and cloack and daggers.
Time will tell.

To be honest i don't buy the 8 million loss. Is there somewhere where we can see it itemised?
Fact is BHAFC is not on the stock exchange and therefore don't need to publish any accountancy figures and also dont need to announce any losses or profits. I wonder if a profit would have been mentioned in quite the same way? I think not.
It is all to do with getting us fans used to price rises and new costs. I know BHAFC has always announced profits and losses over the last few years with DK and MP in charge but this time we are talking big money. This is different. I can't help but think this is strategic, whether we make promotion or not, prices will rise in ST, merchandise and food and drink. Thats ok with some but not ok with others. The 8 million loss (made up or not) is actually pretty good in a football clubs first season at a new stadium, next year will have less costs and more revenue and so will those afterwards, if we stay on course for trying to make the EPL. However, at what point will these figures stop being announced? Can you imagine a day when BHAFC announces a £15 mil profit? Then all fans cry out for new players, because the club can afford it, rather than crying out for a reduction in prices because the club can afford it.
When MP was CEO, I always felt everything was transparent and for the fans. Now we have PB, i feel its all a little bit Willy Walsh and cloack and daggers.
Time will tell.

Load of shite.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
T
Fact is BHAFC is not on the stock exchange and therefore don't need to publish any accountancy figures and also dont need to announce any losses or profits.

They're a limited company - of course they do !

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Ok Ok maybe they do.
But the club doesnt have to answer to anyone apart from its own board. It doesnt send out detailed accounts to everyone. They can manipulate figures as they seem fit. Only the hmrc has any interest.
Box of worms has been opened, and yes I am saying it is possible to lie about your losses and earnings to hmrc. If hmrc are happy, no case to answer.
I'm just saying I can't remember the last time a football club publicly announced profits.

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Ok Ok maybe they do.
But the club doesnt have to answer to anyone apart from its own board. It doesnt send out detailed accounts to everyone. They can manipulate figures as they seem fit. Only the hmrc has any interest.
Box of worms has been opened, and yes I am saying it is possible to lie about your losses and earings to hmrc. If hmrc are happy, no case to answer.
I'm just saying I can remember the last time a football club publicly announced profits.

Chelsea have announced a profit of £1.4million for last year.

Burnley have announced a £3.16m profit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's where I take FFP with a pitch of salt.

There's no way Leeds will be able to shave say £15m off that legitimately through good practise.

Something just doesn't stack up.

It just feels like PB is going to correctly play by the rules and it's going to end up being a handicap.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Chelsea have announced a profit of £1.4million for last year.

Burnley have announced a £3.16m profit.

Stand corrected then.
So Burnely fans, why aren't they asking for a reduction in tickets or a new player or a new ground?
That flies in the face of what PB has been saying then that no team makes a profit in the Championship.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Here's where I take FFP with a pitch of salt.

There's no way Leeds will be able to shave say £15m off that legitimately through good practise.

Something just doesn't stack up.

It just feels like PB is going to correctly play by the rules and it's going to end up being a handicap.

I'm not sure El Pres is correct, I couldn't find the story online. I saw a forum post about them having 19.6m debt. Debt however is very different to a yearly loss.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Stand corrected then.
So Burnely fans, why aren't they asking for a reduction in tickets or a new player or a new ground?
That flies in the face of what PB has been saying then that no team makes a profit in the Championship.

They're in profit because they sold Jay Rodriguez for 8.5m.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
They're in profit because they sold Jay Rodriguez for 8.5m.

So we need to sell more players?
Just playing devils advocate.. How can Burnley with a gate of 10k, make a profit even with the Rodriguez transfer, and we make an 8 million loss with 20k average? Our ticket prices are higher than Burnley's our matchday sales are higher. BHAFC sell more merchandise, how can this be?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I too would have to see the accounts before I got too worried about the £8million loss.

It is pretty clear to me that we are now turning over a shedload of cash every year, and it is only going to rise through a few extra seats, then (already, and inevitably) prices, and then through every other way a chief exec can get money out of the fans.

There are all sorts of things that can impact on the annual loss, from exceptional items to how various other things are treated. And not all of these accurately reflect the true financial position.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
So we need to sell more players?
Just playing devils advocate.. How canb Burnley with a gate of 10k, make a profit even with the Rodriguez transfer, and we make an 8 million loss with 20k average? Our ticket prices are higher than Burnley's our matchday sales are higher. BHAFC sell more merchandise, how can this be?

I imagine time will tell, when the accounts are public and can be looked at in more detail.

Burnley though - http://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/football/burnley-fc/burnley-announce-3-16m-profit-1-5153557

"The club made an operating loss of £4.4 million but the transfer of Rodriguez pushed the Clarets into the black."

"The Clarets’ wage bill was reduced by around £2.5million to below £17million but turnover fell by £4million to £23million, largely due to a further reduction in parachute payments from the Premier League and lower attendances."

I would guess parachute payments could be a key word there.

Judging by this: BBC Sport - Football - Football League accept revised parachute payments - It would appear they got an 8m parachute payment. So there's how they made the money compared to us...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here