Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you have kids at school be prepared for a long summer

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There is a very strong rumour going around that the government are looking at closing schools for an extra month this year, ie returning in October rather than September.

It will be chaos if this is agreed.

they wil be reviewing it in August ( which again will not give parents long to sort out child care if they are working)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
There is a very strong rumour going around that the government are looking at closing schools for an extra month this year, ie returning in October rather than September.

It will be chaos if this is agreed.

they wil be reviewing it in August ( which again will not give parents long to sort out child care if they are working)

So what are they supposed to do?

If the government keep the schools closed until October they're going to get flack from parents because they have to sort out day care. Poor loves.

Or they let the kids return as per normal, said kids all get Swine Flu and they're going to get even more flack. Especially if some of the kids die-which inevitably some will.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Reading the report it suggests that even play groups etc will close.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If the government keep the schools closed until October they're going to get flack from parents because they have to sort out day care. Poor loves.

QUOTE]

you would not belive the problems our school has when we have Inset days, there are normally only three days a year and the abuse the head takes is incredible....the same can be said when the school was closed due to snow.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If the kids did go back to school in October when the weather is starting to turn surely there will be more risk then of contracting swine flu ?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
an extra well earned 4 weeks holiday for the teachers then.:wozza:

Or they let the kids return as per normal, said kids all get Swine Flu and they're going to get even more flack. Especially if some of the kids die-which inevitably some will.
Who said - only last week - that closing schools will do NOTHING to contain the spread of swine flu?

Answer - the government's very own Health Protection Agency.

HPA - Swine flu: advice on schools

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Haven ,Butlins,and Pontins have said to accomodate the possibility of this being true they will continue to offer thier holidays at double what they are during normal term time. Nice gesture.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
If the kids did go back to school in October when the weather is starting to turn surely there will be more risk then of contracting swine flu ?

exactly and If they are considering delaying the return to school why would they not stay closed through out the winter? There seems to be a higher risk to children under 5 and I doubt many parents would chose the loss of a child to swine flu over the inconvenience of child care issues.

and to the snidey idiot who had to get a dig in at teachers - change the record

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
an extra well earned 4 weeks holiday for the teachers then.:wozza:

Bloody right!

I wonder if I can book a holiday abroad now, make the most of the term-time rates, and then watch as the prices go up? God, I can really abuse those extra four weeks - I might even get another little cash in hand tutoring job just to rack up the cash to pay for the holiday. In fact, I could tout myself some childcare work, so the parents pay me again for looking after their little darlings when they have to return to work!

Any idea when they might make this official?

Excellent, remind me again of the downsides of being a teacher? :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
What about term-time only staff in schools? Will they get paid?

If the schools are shut at the directive of Government, then they should still receive pay - not sure how they will approach that. Most salaries for term-time only are pro-rata based on 193 days (I think), so the wages should remain the same. Chances are that the schools will not be open for the kids, but most teachers will be in working, that's what normally happens over the hols anyway!

Unless you are a Supply Teacher and paid only for the days you work, in which case you get sod all.

liverpool_one

Feb 12, 2004
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Bloody right!

I wonder if I can book a holiday abroad now, make the most of the term-time rates, and then watch as the prices go up? God, I can really abuse those extra four weeks - I might even get another little cash in hand tutoring job just to rack up the cash to pay for the holiday. In fact, I could tout myself some childcare work, so the parents pay me again for looking after their little darlings when they have to return to work!

Any idea when they might make this official?

Excellent, remind me again of the downsides of being a teacher? :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

they have to put up with some of the degenerate little bastards that even the parents can't or don't want to control.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here