Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you could choose your national anthem.....

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What would it be ?

Perhaps it would have nothing to do with nationhood ?, which would probably render it pointless anyway then.

Or should we do away with national anthems all together ?

Out of context perhaps ?, but this is what one bloke had to say :

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind".
Albert Einstein

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind". Albert Einstein

Einstein should stick to the science which he knows about. he made such a comment only because he had no firm national identity for himself.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Seeing as England doesn't have a national Anthem, I do like a few rounds of Jerusalem.

...especially when Billy Bragg sings it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Seeing as England doesn't have a national Anthem, I do like a few rounds of Jerusalem.

...especially when Billy Bragg sings it.

Or we could sign Billy up to sing The Diggers Song for us :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Here's that bloke again :

"Nationalism, on my opinion, is nothing more than an idealistic rationalization for militarism and aggression."

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
I like GSTQ. It is both England and the UK's national anthem based on our sovereignty and history. Sung loud and proud at a full, passionate Wembley or Twickenham it sounds awesome. I'm happy to sing about the Queen too - the Monarchy is the integral part of our establishment that differentiates us from most other democracies. It's part of our culture innit...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I like GSTQ. It is both England and the UK's national anthem based on our sovereignty and history. Sung loud and proud at a full, passionate Wembley or Twickenham it sounds awesome. I'm happy to sing about the Queen too - the Monarchy is the integral part of our establishment that differentiates us from most other democracies. It's part of our culture innit...

It isn't England's national Anthem. We haven't got one.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Don't really care what it is, except that it should be rousing and instill pride and passion in all those who sing it...which pretty much rules out GSTQ.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Don't really care what it is, except that it should be rousing and instill pride and passion in all those who sing it...which pretty much rules out GSTQ.

Evening Gully :wave:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur:D
OR
Good Old Sussex By The Sea:thumbsup:

It isn't England's national Anthem. We haven't got one.
Indeed.

England isn't a nation state. That's one of things I rather like about being English. For most people, England is probably nothing much more than a collection of sports teams.

The world would be a better place if all nations downgraded to a similar status.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
People rightly point out the GSTQ is the British anthem and so shouldn't be used for England as well - so why do they often suggest 'Land of Hope and Glory' instead? That's British too!

We're going to have to wait for the revolution when republican England finally breaks clear of the aristocratic, European and celtic shackles that hold us down; a song will suggest itself. In the meantime I suggest we use 'Football's Coming Home' (1996 version) which is the nearest we've had to a song being picked up by the people to capture a moment.

PS - For a new British anthem I suggest the theme from The Dambusters; MUCH more stirring than the current dirge. Also whereas Americans and other nationalities stand there with their hands on their hearts when their anthem is played we could all stand there with our hands on our eyes like pretend goggles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here