Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If something is thrown onto the pitch at a player

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
If something is thrown onto the pitch at a player, do they have a right to throw it back?

Just seen on Sky Sports News that after Drogba scored, some idiot in the crowd threw something on the pitch, aimed at Drogba, so in response, he flicked the v's and threw it back, and got a yellow card for it.

Surely the idiot who threw something should be the one getting in to trouble and not the player on the recieving end of it.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...seem to remember a player throwing something back into the crowd at Highbury then getting a lengthy ban, so I think the answer has to be no, Drogba is lucky not to have been sent off.

...mind you, I don't think many NSC'ers were too bothered when Cantona threw himself into the crowd at Sellhurst!

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
...seem to remember a player throwing something back into the crowd at Highbury then getting a lengthy ban, so I think the answer has to be no, Drogba is lucky not to have been sent off.

...mind you, I don't think many NSC'ers were too bothered when Cantona threw himself into the crowd at Sellhurst!

Carragher I believe it was.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I agree with the poster above who says they may hit the wrong person if they throw it back, and the chances are they probably would. So it should be up to the crowd of responsible fans around to single this prick out and let Drogba(or whoever the original shot was aimed at at any game, wherever) take a free go at him. Its cowardly to hide in a crowd and throw something, knowing the chances of getting caught are minimal. If you're big enough to chuck it in the first place you should be big enough to front it out - and these c*nts aren't..

You may have guessed, this is subject I feel quite strongly about....

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
If something is thrown onto the pitch at a player, do they have a right to throw it back?

Just seen on Sky Sports News that after Drogba scored, some idiot in the crowd threw something on the pitch, aimed at Drogba, so in response, he flicked the v's and threw it back, and got a yellow card for it.

Surely the idiot who threw something should be the one getting in to trouble and not the player on the recieving end of it.

Why should Drogba not be in trouble? He had no idea who threw it so it could have hit anyone. Just as guilty as the moron in the crowd in my opinion.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He needs a massive fine and a ban as he has no idea who threw the coin in the first place. Having said that, bearing in mind the number of cameras around the ground and that the Police and club, if so inclined, should be able to identify the seat from where the coin was thrown. They should be able to nail the guy (or girl) and get statements from those sitting around.

Won't happen though and Drogba will just get a ban (quite rightly) but the moron in the crowd will get away with it.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
by the way, I do hope all this sanctimony isn't going to stop us having a bloody good laugh at Chelski? Or is there a separate thread I should go to for that???

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Drogba should be banned for a very, very long time, as Carragher should have been when he did it.

What he did is no different to the fan throwing a coin onto the pitch, in fact if anything it is even more dangerous as there is a higher chance of him hitting someone.

If the fan is caught he will probably be banned from every football ground in the country. Drogba will prbably get a couple games ban and a fine equaling something like half a days work.

And no, this isn't an anti Chelsea, or anti Premeirship thing. I would think exactly the same even it were an Albion player.

No excuse whatsoever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here