Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If scientists got a machine to walk and talk - does/should it have rights?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If the worlds leading scientists created a robot so sophisticated it could think for itself and make judgement calls and decisions while interacting with others, would that machine deserve human rights?

Big fat YES from me.

Or perhaps you believe that it'd only prove that machines without consciousness can do the same tasks that we as humans can achieve, and it'd undermine what we believe to be consciousness and make it a less interesting area of study?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
BURN it, it could be a witch.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If the worlds leading scientists created a robot so sophisticated it could think for itself and make judgement calls and decisions while interacting with others, would that machine deserve human rights?

Big fat YES from me.

Of course not. Bloody Siri on the iPhone can almost do what you're saying.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It could be used for evil, even if it inherently wasn't. If it didn't know what it was doing was wrong, could the blame still be on Mr. Robots shoulders?

We're basically talking about the movie i, Robot here.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It could be used for evil, even if it inherently wasn't. If it didn't know what it was doing was wrong, could the blame still be on Mr. Robots shoulders?

Depends if he has a good lawyer.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
rights or human rights? very different propositions. animals think for themself and make decisions, some make judgments, but we recognise they need rights but at a lower threashold. shirely the same would be the case with autonomous robots, some rights but not the same as for humans?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Have we not learned our lesson from the terminator films?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
It will not only have rights -- the Republican Party will nominate it for President.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Big fat YES from me.

Or perhaps you believe that it'd only prove that machines without consciousness can do the same tasks that we as humans can achieve, and it'd undermine what we believe to be consciousness and make it a less interesting area of study?

Have you nicked 'return of the rev's Baccy ?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
It will not only have rights -- the Republican Party will nominate it for President.

Isn't that what they've done with Romney already?

I'd say yes. If it was capable of thought and, more importantly, feeling like a human does then why deny it rights? If it can feel pain and distress from mistreatment in the same way we would then surely it deserves equivalent rights?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here