Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Murray gets booked tonight...

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
then he misses Leeds on Saturday :nono:

Would you bench Murray tonight until half time, then if we haven't got a decent lead bring him on, if we have say a 2 goal advantage keep him muzzled until Saturday?

Or start him and then bring him off, if he hasn't been booked and we have a 2 goal advantage?

Of course I would rather he played the 90 minutes, but what game is more important?

Or am I panicking unneccassarily?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
D'Urso allegedly holds a grudge against Gus, Murray does some stupid things that piss referees off, a booking is pretty well guaranteed.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton

Would you bench Murray tonight until half time, then if we haven't got a decent lead bring him on, if we have say a 2 goal advantage keep him muzzled until Saturday?

Or start him and then bring him off, if he hasn't been booked and we have a 2 goal advantage?

Of course I would rather he played the 90 minutes, but what game is more important?

Im not sure he would. I think he would miss Norwich

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
If that's true, then I wouldn't play him tonight.
Dickinson or Davies alongside Forster should be good enough against Wycombe at home.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'd start him & bring him off if/when he's done the biz. It might be my imagination, but like others he seems to pick up cards later - rather than earlier - in a game.

Shit, I hope I haven't but the hex on him now.. :whistle:

ps Nice use of "muzzled" there Mr C. :thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would be tempted to start Forster and Davies, then bring on Murray if necessary. However, chances are he will get a yellow sometime soon, just hope it's after the big 3 games coming up.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He should have deliberately got a second yellow then he only would have missed Wycombe right? :lol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The web version of the paper article someone already posted would suggest that Poyet is planning to start with Murray and Forster tonight.
==========
Murray is staying put
10:30am Wednesday 18th November 2009

Comments (0) Have your say »

By Andy Naylor »

GUS Poyet has removed any doubts about Glenn Murray’s Albion future by insisting the in-form striker is here to stay.

Murray has handed in two transfer requests since joining the Seagulls from Rochdale two seasons ago.

He has also been plagued by hernia problems but launched Poyet’s reign with a two-goal starring role at Southampton on Sunday and spearheads the attack again in tonight’s FA Cup first round replay against Wycombe at Withdean.

Poyet said: “He is going to be here for sure, 100%. There is no chance he will go somewhere else. He is a very, very important part of our plans.

“That is one of the best things we have got here, four or five very good strikers. That is a department where it is sometimes very difficult to find players and we’ve got them.

“If we have got them here why would we let them go? I know Glenn is happy and he has been scoring goals. I am sure he is going to score many more this year.

“I am absolutely sure he is one of the top three or five strikers in this division, based on performance, quality and talent. That is why I am saying he is going nowhere.”

Murray has scored five goals in his last three appearances, including another double in the 4-4 draw at Wycombe.

Nicky Forster slotted his tenth of the season from the penalty spot against Wanderers at Adams Park and Poyet has indicated he will resist the temptation to rest Murray’s 36-year-old partner, with a third game in seven days looming against Leeds.

He said: “It’s a hard one. Nicky is a goalscorer. He knows where the ball is going to drop, how to move and take a shot. That is an advantage we have got.

“It is difficult for every player to play every single game but, at the same time, when you have got the right partnership it’s important for the team.”

Wycombe are without striker John Akinde, re-signed from Bristol City since the first meeting with the Seagulls.

He was injured in Saturday’s 6-0 hammering at Huddersfield and Bristol also do not want him Cup-tied.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Lets face it, hes not going to go 4 games without getting booked is he? Even with Super gus I still dont think we will beat Leeds on Saturday but I do think we can beat the other two so Id rather have him playing for those games.

I say play him for 90mins and if he hasnt been booked by 85mins tell him to needlessly foul someone!!!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'm of the opinion that we should be starting every match with our best available 11, and not worry about Yellow Cards. Play To Win, don't f*** about.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I'm of the opinion that we should be starting every match with our best available 11, and not worry about Yellow Cards. Play To Win, don't f*** about.

I agree. After Sunday we should be looking to build momentum, and therefore should go with the same starting 11. We should only be looking to withdraw players if it benefits the team, which would clearly not the the case here.

Let's just hope big Gus tells Glenn not to stand in front of any opposition free-kicks or intentionally slap the ball with his hand!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I'd play Murray and tell him that if he gets another yellow for petulance then he's let everyone down. Can't say I've seen every booking he's received, but it was a silly one against Leeds and also at Tranmere. I get the impression a striker like him, who has had the same game time, should not be close to a yellow card ban yet.

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
Agreed Spider. I would simply remind him he is a striker and the game is football, if he wants to use his hands so much he should have opted to be a goal keeper. The last 3 yellows I have seen him get have all been for handball!

fozzie's headband

Jul 26, 2004
Heathfield

I'm pretty sure that suspensions for yellow cards kick in seven days later.
So if he was booked tonight then it would probably be the 2nd round FA Cup game he misses (if we get through of course!).

He definitely wouldn't miss the Leeds game though.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Simple solution

Double amputation from just above the elbow:
less weight = runs faster
no forearms or hands for opposition players to grab on to to pull him back.
best of all, will stop the silly fcuker handling the ball like he wants to be a goalie.

So next hernia or grion op - get the arms off too ....

You know it makes sense .....

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Play him if he's right for the game, don;t worry about suspensions, it happens, and as Gus says, we have 4 or 5 strikers, so we aren't going to be left short in that department. Let's face it, we all know it is the defence that needs shoring up

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I'd play Murray and tell him that if he gets another yellow for petulance then he's let everyone down. Can't say I've seen every booking he's received, but it was a silly one against Leeds and also at Tranmere. I get the impression a striker like him, who has had the same game time, should not be close to a yellow card ban yet.

Is that the best you could do?

I've been waiting all week for your reaction to people praising Murray, and you've gone with "slag him off just in case he gets booked".

Petty - just admit you haven't got a clue what makes a good striker.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Agreed Spider. I would simply remind him he is a striker and the game is football, if he wants to use his hands so much he should have opted to be a goal keeper. The last 3 yellows I have seen him get have all been for handball!

I thought his last booking was because the referee thought Muzza wasn't 10 yards away from the ball when their goalie kicked it and he made an attempt to block it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here