Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If LLOYD OWUSU's goals keep us up....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
....will those who snipe constantly at Dean White's contribution, have the grace to acknowledge who brought him to the club, during his short caretaker spell in charge?

Without Owusu's winners against Hereford, Colchester and Oldham, it would be game over already.

Getting a player of that stature into a club on its arse, with no ground and no manager, just when we desperately needed it, was a MASTERSTROKE. Great work.

:clap:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I hope we sign him up for next season which ever league he is in, I am sure his agent will be sniffing out clubs wih bigger budgets and using his perforamces as a selling point.

Yes I often feel I give White a had time without remembeing all the hard work and dedication he has put into our club.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
5 goals in 11 starts is difficult to argue with.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He's been a cracking loan signing, but his impact is very Savage... I don't think we need him longer term, I don't want us to sign him in the summer. We have Forster, Murray, Davies and Hart, plus Kane Louis coming through. We have enough strikers and he wouldn't be cheap, let's not forget. He won't be neccessary when all else is fit, Murray and Forster are both better than him.

But he's becoming a loan hero and his contribution is massive for us, a master stroke of a signing.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
He's been a cracking loan signing, but his impact is very Savage... I don't think we need him longer term, I don't want us to sign him in the summer. We have Forster, Murray, Davies and Hart, plus Kane Louis coming through. We have enough strikers and he wouldn't be cheap, let's not forget. He won't be neccessary when all else is fit, Murray and Forster are both better than him.

But he's becoming a loan hero and his contribution is massive for us, a master stroke of a signing.

I disagree, Forster and Murray are injury prone, the jury is out on Davies and it is unlikely that Hart will be a regular striker for the whole of next season. I say sign him up!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The jury is not out on Craig Davies. The jury says he is rubbish and Slade has twig this demoting him from a starting 11 certainty to a sued sub to an unused sub. 1 goal in 14 is shocking and if we create a few chances a game we do not need someone who could not score an open goal from 2 yards out.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I say we need to concentrate on other areas more, Dicker is only on loan, he would be a good permanant signing. We need to invest in central midfielders as a priority, but not at the expense of Doug Loft. We could do with clearing out El-Bad and Fraser amongst others, and replacing them with crafty, experienced players. That's the dream, atleast. Owusu scores goals, so he would hardly be a bad signing! But I don't think we need him, his wages won't be cheap...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I never judge a manager by his signings, or how much money he makes through buying and selling players. The whole process involves scouts, it involves lawyers, the chairmen, agents, advisors, so I tend to judge managers by the wa they manage the team, coaches by how they coach the team.

I don't believe anyone is criticising White's ability to spot a decent player, in fact, when the anti-white vitriol was at it's peak, people were still praising his contributions to the club as a scout.

Regarding whether he should stay (as coach) or go:
A lot of the 'go' sentiment comes, I think, from Dick Knight's insistence on new managers having to work with him. We don't hear of other clubs trying to copy White's style or system , so he can't be so fantastic that there is a need to keep his services.

So, why is DK so adamant he stays? That worries fans and they want him gone more for the "jobs for the boys" message that it seems to send (to some fans). Which is no way to run a club, people should get the job on merit, not friendship.

Personally, I think it's up to Slade. I think the manager and the coaching staff are a team, and te need to be comfortable with each other, to know each other to that they can compensate each other. I.e. if Slade was to say something that inadvertently upset a player, his coach would know him and have the relationship to a) talk to the player and explain what was meant, b) talk to Slade and let him know he was out of order. So, Slade has to b comfortable with whoever s his coach.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
The jury is not out on Craig Davies. The jury says he is rubbish and Slade has twig this demoting him from a starting 11 certainty to a sued sub to an unused sub. 1 goal in 14 is shocking and if we create a few chances a game we do not need someone who could not score an open goal from 2 yards out.

His record shows that he is definitely going through a bad patch but he could be the type of players where 1 goal leads to 10 or he may not be suited to us and we should get rid. I would certainly give him anther 10 games to settle, a little patience may pay off in the long term
\

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hardly a masterstroke bringing in Owuso 5 years after we first went after him. The biggest suprise is that Cheltenham let us have him to score goals for us and thus send them down.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hardly a masterstroke bringing in Owuso 5 years after we first went after him. The biggest suprise is that Cheltenham let us have him to score goals for us and thus send them down.

I can never read your posts without wondering what on earth goes through your mind when typing! Christ, what suprises you? Cheltenham were long since relegated when they loaned him to us, and they did that to a) get him off their wage bill and b) because he was only a few games away from an automatic contract extension, which they can't afford to give him!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They were not relegated when he joined us and the goals he has scored for us could have saved them. As far as a contract extention was concerned all they had to do was not play him and swallow his wages for a few weeks. Quite simple really not lend him to a fellow struggling team. Had it been Leicester lent us a player after our 2 games against them I could understand that because that player may have helped us beat their opponents for promotion, which would have done them a favour.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
They were not relegated when he joined us and the goals he has scored for us could have saved them. As far as a contract extention was concerned all they had to do was not play him and swallow his wages for a few weeks. Quite simple really not lend him to a fellow struggling team. Had it been Leicester lent us a player after our 2 games against them I could understand that because that player may have helped us beat their opponents for promotion, which would have done them a favour.

What?! How long were Cheltenham bottom for? Everyone, including themselves, knew they were down a long time ago. And largely because they had no money, they had to let people go and they had to sack all their scouts and as many people as they could. They were relegated in february, roughly. Owusu's wages won't be cheap, if they don't play him they still have to pay the guy, obviously! It didn't matter who they were giving him to, so long as someone else would pay his wages for them. It doesn't make football sense, but from a business perspective, surely you can understand?! They were concentrating far more on staying in business than staying in a league they're not prepared for.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Had that been the case that they had accepted relegation as inevitable the obvious answer would have been to have gone into administration and wiped out their debts in otrder to start next season with a clean slate. The existing chairman/board could have bought the club from the administartors eg Ken Bates at Leeds.

There was sufficient time and games left for any club to have avoided relegation since February.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Had that been the case that they had accepted relegation as inevitable the obvious answer would have been to have gone into administration and wiped out their debts in otrder to start next season with a clean slate. The existing chairman/board could have bought the club from the administartors eg Ken Bates at Leeds.

There was sufficient time and games left for any club to have avoided relegation since February.

How much do you know about business? Going to administration isn't a good thing... In certain situations it can be beneficial to clubs to do that, obviously Leeds being the perfect example. Cheltenham had no need to go that extreme yet, because there were things they could do to prevent it. Owusu to Brighton, Vincent to Colchester, Westlake to Oldham, I'm sure there have been a few more aswell.

You've said that now, but do you believe it? Do you believe that a club in their situation, giving away their "best" players could possibly plan to stay up?! They weren't in a competitive situation, they couldn't possibly stay up and even if they did, what was the point? They wouldn't be able to compete next season at this level anyway, relegation would have been a disaster for a club in our sitation but for a club in their situation at the moment, it's the best thing for them. That might not make sense to you, relegation being in the best interest of the club. But think of it this way, was promotion in the best interests of Lewes last year? No, because they couldn't afford to get the ground up to standard, and they couldn't afford to get good enough players. They got promoted before the club was in a position to handle it, and be competitive in the league. Look at Eastbourne, the club has the right infrastructure to cope with the BSP, Lewes did not. Football isn't just about your squad.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Getting a player of that stature
Lower league journeyman?

into a club on its arse
erm, we weren't doing very well but hardly "on our arse", especially bearing in mind he came from Cheltenham who were all but down and on the verge of administration, Owusu was one of their higher earners and would have been entitled to a new contract after a couple more appearances.

Owusu was a good signing but it's not some massive coup, it's not like he signed Ronaldo, or Robbie Savage :lol:
Also I think anyone with a decent knowledge of league football could have idenitfied these players, other than the keeper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here