Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If I was to say to you I'm going for a drink NEXT Wednesday

If I was to say to you I'm going for a drink NEXT Wednesday what would I mean?

• Wednesday 15th June

Votes: 17 10.3%
  • Wednesday 22nd June

Votes: 148 89.7%

• Total voters

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I have voted and cannot believe I am in a 12% minority. Next Wednesday is, well, tomorrow. Because it is the next Wednesday, the first Wednesday that turns up after this moment in time. There cannot be a Wednesday before NEXT Wednesday, it is logically impossible.

If you say THIS Wednesday, it also means Next Wednesday. They are logically the same thing. Unless you say it on a Friday, in which case it means the Wednesday just passed, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

I can't believe your in a 12% minority either...that means currently there are 16 people as wrong as you! Its not that the next wednesday is not the 15th as the 'THE' is not used. 'Are you free wednesday?' 'No, but I am free next wednesday'. We will still disagree I bet but hey.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Following on from the logic of days in this week being referred to as this Wednesday etc.

If I meet you on Friday 24th June to ask how your evening was on the 22nd, do I ask you "how was your night out THIS Wednesday?" or "how was your night out LAST wednesday?"

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Following on from the logic of days in this week being referred to as this Wednesday etc.

If I meet you on Friday 24th June to ask how your evening was on the 22nd, do I ask you "how was your night out THIS Wednesday?" or "how was your night out LAST wednesday?"
You'd ask "how was your night out ON Wednesday". If you were to be daft enough to use one of the options you suggest, then I think the first would make more sense.

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Definitely 22nd.

I've always been a fan of using 'week' in the form "Do you fancy a drink Wednensday week?" Not sure why, but it's one of those quirks of the English language that I like.

If you asked on Thursday 16th then 'next Wednesday' would still mean the 22nd - there would only be some ambiguity if you asked your work colleague on Sunday 19th.

Good threadage.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When this poll concludes, I'm going to identify the 'Wednesday 15th June' crowd and ban them from NSC.

They've let themselves, their family and the Albion down, and they need to take some time out to think about that.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
When this poll concludes, I'm going to identify the 'Wednesday 15th June' crowd and ban them from NSC.

They've let themselves, their family and the Albion down, and they need to take some time out to think about that.

you-can-do-it.jpg

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Hmmm. So to get this straight, if its wednesday, thursday, friday, saturday or, depending on your religion, sunday, NEXT wednesday is the next wednesday. If its monday, tuesday or, depending on your religion, sunday, NEXT wednesday is the wednesday after the next wednesday.

Ergo, next wednesday = the wednesday after next, ergo we all disappear in a big black hole.

I await my banning with interest, but can it be completed by next friday?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here