Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If I was to say to you I'm going for a drink NEXT Wednesday

If I was to say to you I'm going for a drink NEXT Wednesday what would I mean?

• Wednesday 15th June

Votes: 17 10.3%
  • Wednesday 22nd June

Votes: 148 89.7%

• Total voters

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
NEXT Wednesday is the Wednesday in the NEXT week.
THIS Wednesday is the Wednesday in THIS week.

Unless you say "the next Wednesday". Which would be the next Wednesday which occurs.

this.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
I'd say you have a drinking problem.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
THIS Wednesday is 15th June, NEXT Wednesday is 22nd June

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I have voted and cannot believe I am in a 12% minority. Next Wednesday is, well, tomorrow. Because it is the next Wednesday, the first Wednesday that turns up after this moment in time. There cannot be a Wednesday before NEXT Wednesday, it is logically impossible.

If you say THIS Wednesday, it also means Next Wednesday. They are logically the same thing. Unless you say it on a Friday, in which case it means the Wednesday just passed, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

I have voted and cannot believe I am in a 12% minority. Next Wednesday is, well, tomorrow. Because it is the next Wednesday, the first Wednesday that turns up after this moment in time. There cannot be a Wednesday before NEXT Wednesday, it is logically impossible.

If you say THIS Wednesday, it also means Next Wednesday. They are logically the same thing. Unless you say it on a Friday, in which case it means the Wednesday just passed, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

But the point, as someone mentioned earlier, is that the 'this' and 'next' refer to the week in which they feature, not the day themselves. Hence 'this Wednesday' is the Wednesday in this week (whether that's happened yet or not) and 'next Wednesday' is the Wednesday in next week. It might not make perfect grammatical sense but that is the commonly accepted usage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here