Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If I was to say to you I'm going for a drink NEXT Wednesday

If I was to say to you I'm going for a drink NEXT Wednesday what would I mean?

• Wednesday 15th June

Votes: 17 10.3%
  • Wednesday 22nd June

Votes: 148 89.7%

• Total voters

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Can't believe all except Empire have said the 22nd. If I said something was happening next month, would you think I meant the next month which comes along, or would you think I meant August?

You can't compare a specific (Wednesday) with a general term (Month), that's where the comparison falls down. Next month means "the next month which comes along", because we are currently IN a month. We are not currently ON a Wednesday - if we were, then it would "mean the next one which comes along..."

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Is this person a SHE-type.
As this thread reads like a situation that arises in Stat Towers, weekly.

It is the type of question that would bamboozle the current Mrs Giraffe (sorry Mr Wogan) but actually no it is a male colleague. Although he is very fat so perhaps that's the problem!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would have been much simpler and clearer to have said " I'm going for a drink Wednesday week"

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can't believe all except Empire have said the 22nd. If I said something was happening next month, would you think I meant the next month which comes along, or would you think I meant August?

This month is June, next month is July. This Wednesday is the 15th, next Wednesday is the 22nd.

This week is this week, any day in it is this Tuesday etc. Next week is following, any day in that is next Tuesday. Simples.

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
i would assume its the 29th as i do not want to go for a drink with you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here