Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If hammond stays

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
yeah , can't see why not.
Also , you never know, he may still sign the contract in the summer if we have a good end of season

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes, absolutely he would [and should] still play him.

IF we reach a point of the season when promotion is mathematically beyond us, then and only then will it be acceptable to start preparing for next year. At that point Wilkins may decide that it is in our interests to bed in his preferred future pairing.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I hope so. After all if Dean wants away so bad then he will put in the performances of his life so someone snaps him up. We all know what he IS capable of but lately he has been a bit, well sh1t. George overshadowed him in almost every game. Whether thats Dean or the system we were playing or what I dont CARE.

But its a WIN - WIN, Dean pulls his head out his arse, we get some decent performances, he fucks off end of season and frees up the wages for a CONSISTENT midfielder in the summer. WICKERD.

Last edited:

Nicky Rust

Jan 3, 2008
Hove
hope not! Reid is a much more complete footballer, Thompson looks alot more disciplined and Mcfaul sounds like hes got a lot more potential.
Hammond is a player putting this club to ransom, Squad discipline is essential to good managment, playing someone who isn't 100% committed to the club while under-contract gives the player way too much power, he needs to be shown the door to lead an example for all future and present signings!
He does work hard but he is not The Albion's finest mid-fielder ad Captain, he does lack that final ball and that box to box tag he for some reason has.

Hammond ur a local boy who should feel more passion than most for playing for a team you may once of watched as a boy, leave if you don't wont to stay and let this club ge some cash for nurturing and producing players like you!.

PS doubt he will read this

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If he doesn't sign, and doesn't leave, then Wilkins should pick him if he is needed to get a result.

If Wilkins thinks we can win without him then he should fester in the reserves. If he signs a new deal in the summer, great, I suppose, but for now he can't be great to have around the dressing room.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Firstly, I don't BLAME Hammond for wanting a Bosman - its probably what most of us would do given the chance and the choice. He stands to make a lot of money.

But it just leaves a bit of a sour taste when he takes us all for a bunch of mugs by having his agent (and Forster, suprisingly) come out with all that guff last week. Presumably this was in an effort to avoid any stick from the fans for the remainder of the season, as holding out simply for more money never goes down very well. But by spinning a line about the "clubs ambition needing to be proved" - well, he sure ended up painting himself into a corner with that one as it turns out. I've never known activity (and certainly cash spent) anything like this month. So now we'll be left with the REAL reason - which really we knew all along. He wants more money, and he wants a bigger club. No shock in that, just be bloody HONEST Dean.

Would I pick him now ? To be honest I'd be very reluctant. He's engineered a transfer, and lied to us about his reasons. We have two new central midfielders already, possibly another one one on the way, Reid is now back in the picture, and Fraser has been patchy but promising. We've got plenty of options there now, and Hammond has been pertty average for some time now. If he's still here after the transfer window then we're not going to make any money from when he goes anyway, so the "shop window" factor in relation to getting a decent fee isn't a factor.

Nope. I think I'd play the players who actually WANT to be at the club.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Firstly, I don't BLAME Hammond for wanting a Bosman - its probably what most of us would do given the chance and the choice. He stands to make a lot of money.

But it just leaves a bit of a sour taste when he takes us all for a bunch of mugs by having his agent (and Forster, suprisingly) come out with all that guff last week. Presumably this was in an effort to avoid any stick from the fans for the remainder of the season, as holding out simply for more money never goes down very well. But by spinning a line about the "clubs ambition needing to be proved" - well, he sure ended up painting himself into a corner with that one as it turns out. I've never known activity (and certainly cash spent) anything like this month. So now we'll be left with the REAL reason - which really we knew all along. He wants more money, and he wants a bigger club. No shock in that, just be bloody HONEST Dean.

Would I pick him now ? To be honest I'd be very reluctant. He's engineered a transfer, and lied to us about his reasons. We have two new central midfielders already, possibly another one one on the way, Reid is now back in the picture, and Fraser has been patchy but promising. We've got plenty of options there now, and Hammond has been pertty average for some time now. If he's still here after the transfer window then we're not going to make any money from when he goes anyway, so the "shop window" factor in relation to getting a decent fee isn't a factor.

Nope. I think I'd play the players who actually WANT to be at the club.

I go along with the reasoning behind that. The hard thing for me would be the fact that I regard him as our best midfielder and that it's very hard to not play your best players if they are available to you.

It's not like he wont be trying, he'll be wanting to put himself in the shop window wont he.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I go along with the reasoning behind that. The hard thing for me would be the fact that I regard him as our best midfielder and that it's very hard to not play your best players if they are available to you.

It's not like he wont be trying, he'll be wanting to put himself in the shop window wont he.
I don't doubt that Hammond would put the effort in - its in his own best interests to do so after all. But he is, in effect, history for us now. We have other options to try, we want to achieve a settled midfield, and get a strong first choice central partnership established and working regularly together.

In all honesty I just don't see us making up the ground and getting promoted this season. But if we can get a settled side, then with this squad of players, I can see us having a really good chance of making the top 6 next season for sure. Hammonds now not a part of that.

If it was up to me, unless there was an injury crisis, Hammond will have kicked his last ball for the club.

ack

Apr 20, 2006
We all know his form has been indifferent of late,but contract or not if he is fully commited and shows passion on the field then use the best we have at the mo.
If he wants out he gotta perform on league 1 stage to stand any hope of attracting bigger clubs.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Does anyone think his lack of recent form, may be because of all the behind the scenes to-ing and fro-ing?

Daddylonglegs

Jan 28, 2008
Hove
Dick Knight will simply put his foot down and not allow wilkins to pick him................ Which is stupid. why continue paying the wages of a key player in our team and not reap the benefits. Even if he leaves in the summer, at least his contributions could stop our current drift towards relegation.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Dick needs to keep his nose out and let Dean manage - that has been proved with all the coming and goings of the past 5 weks - of course Dean would play him - Why would Dean Wilkins be wanting his captain to leave - totally ridiculous anyone thinking that

Daddylonglegs

Jan 28, 2008
Hove
I think your confidence in Wilkin's ability to stand up to knight and play him despite knight telling him not to is misplaced. Lets just wait and see, as i doubt Hammond is going to go in this window. If he DOES want to go, he knows there will be better oppourtunites in the summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here